Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Ike Jacket Oddity

Article about: Hello Everyone, This is Technician 4th grade Cullpepper's Ike jacket. I mentioned in a reply to another American uniform the other day, that it isn't too uncommon for regulation deviations t

Default Ike Jacket Oddity

Hello Everyone,

This is Technician 4th grade Cullpepper's Ike jacket.

I mentioned in a reply to another American uniform the other day, that it isn't too uncommon for regulation deviations to exist on original uniforms. Here is proof! I bought this directly from Cullpepper's daughter this last summer, so I can confidently say that this one is the real deal. As you can see, this uniform has a very unusual unit patch configuration, somewhat akin to 509th PIB vets wearing their "Gingerbread Man" insignia on their right sleeves.

The story I was told from the daughter is that he was wounded in the legs and lower abdomen by a mortar round in March 1945 while fighting as an infantryman with the 78th Infantry division. After his recuperation, he was assigned to an engineer company within the 83rd Infantry division, AND then returned home with the 1st Army. Hence the many patches.

Also of note, his ribbon bars are out of order!

Ike Jacket OddityIke Jacket OddityIke Jacket OddityIke Jacket Oddity

Interesting IKE jacket.. I like the combination of multiple insignia.

There have been a few articles written about this combination of cuff worn insignia in "Trading Post" by ASMIC (American Society of Military Insignia Collectors) and in AAMUC (American Association of Military Uniform Collectors) "Footlocker" publication.

I will have to go and dig through about 30 years worth of both Trading Post and Footlocker to pull the articles..

On a side note,, Personally I have no issues with the order of the ribbons as they are now.. as I would assume these were placed on the uniform by the veteran at the time he received them since they appear to be single pin back ribbons and not attached to a bar. Many Soldiers were not concerned or cared about regulations and order of precedence with the ribbons and just placed them on their uniforms for mustering out and discharge purposes,, I too have numerous uniforms with ribbon combinations and placement that would make uniform purists shake their heads,, But as they were received from the veterans in that condition I will not alter or change them in any way...

This is a great uniform...

Best regards

Smitty

Rakkasan
    I agree with you on the ribbon order. If I had just spent god knows how many months fighting the Germans and finally got discharged, i wouldn’t give a damn about what order my ribbons are in to be sent home haha.

I believe a lot of the folk who get flustered over this likely spent time in the military themselves, and more recently i might add. I know when i was in the army the regs and rules for our dress blues were ridiculous. The platoon sergeant would come into formation with a micrometer to see if all our ribbons and badges were spaced PERFECTLY, which of course they never were according to him

Eagle mtn,

Couldn't agree more with the uniform regulations of present times.. Spent 22 years as an infantryman and 2 of my Platoon sergeants were from the 3rd US Infantry "Old Guard" and when we were in Berlin one of my team leaders came from the Cassion platoon from the Old Guard so he was a valued asset in helping me as squad leader getting our guys ready for parades and Guard Duty..

P.S.. Thank you for your service too brother...

Smitty

MAP
    ?

Great Ike!

I will say, every time I hear the name Culpepper, it reminds me of one of the funniest movies ever. It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)