Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Interesting m41 Field Jacket -- from Leavenworth?

Article about: Hello everyone, I came across and purchased a neat field jacket at a local antique mall the other day. It was on a clothing rack of uniforms that dated from WWII to the post-Vietnam War era.

?

Default Interesting m41 Field Jacket -- from Leavenworth?

Hello everyone,

I came across and purchased a neat field jacket at a local antique mall the other day. It was on a clothing rack of uniforms that dated from WWII to the post-Vietnam War era. The prices were good on all the the items but the one that caught my eye in particular was described on the sales tag as "damaged" and priced accordingly. Indeed, it was in pretty rough shape and had numerous repairs and some existing rips (This added to the character of the jacket, in my opinion). I noticed that there were traces of lettering, i.e., USDB, on the back that obviously had some military-related significance. At the time I hade no idea what the letters stood for, except perhaps for the "P" which I assumed was Prisoner. When I got home and searched the internet I found out that the block letters USDB was the acronym for the United States Dentition Barracks at Leavenworth, Kansas. I'm assuming the prisoner was at Leavenworth but reading up on military prisons it appears that their were satellite prisons in the country due to overcrowding during the war and post-war periods (The number of military prisoners apparently increased significantly during WWII and again during the Korean War). I believe that the jacket is an m41, and the crown zipper, an apparent replacement, dates the early 1950s. Another interesting bit of information that I found was that starting in 1955, military prisoners were no longer issued shirts/jackets with USDB on the back, but instead an identification tag that was to be worn on the front of the clothing. The jacket has no tags or name identification, and there is what appears to be a blood stain on the lower left front part of the jacket. Also, I'm wondering if someone tried to wash over the lettering on the back as opposed to it just wearing off?

Anyway, thanks for looking. Any additional information or comments would be welcomed. Thanks!

Tom
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Interesting m41 Field Jacket -- from Leavenworth?   Interesting m41 Field Jacket -- from Leavenworth?  

Interesting m41 Field Jacket -- from Leavenworth?   Interesting m41 Field Jacket -- from Leavenworth?  

Interesting m41 Field Jacket -- from Leavenworth?   Interesting m41 Field Jacket -- from Leavenworth?  

Attached Images Attached Images Interesting m41 Field Jacket -- from Leavenworth?