Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Leather Jerkin

Article about: Good afternoon all Currently looking at this listed late war leather jerkin & was just requiring your thoughts & opinions! It is described as put together with several pieces of leat

Lee
    ?

I have an early war one will take pics. at the outset of the war there was an abundance of materials. you will see the early versions with large panels. As the war went on materials became scarce so all (scraps) were used that is why you will see small patches on late war produced jerkins.Leather JerkinLeather JerkinLeather Jerkin
    Glad this worked. mine is not maker marked. i believe this was a private purchase as it has little add ons (snaps and leather trim under arms)
    I wish i had my uncles ww2 one. it may still be on the farm but i could not find it last trip. His had a sherman tank painted on the front. he spent the war in the UK working on tanks and working on German vehicles that came back from Europe. sadly he passed away before i could chat with him about some of the vehicles.
    Last edited by Lee; 01-08-2021 at 06:15 AM.

Quote by Lee View Post
    I have an early war one will take pics. at the outset of the war there was an abundance of materials. you will see the early versions with large panels. As the war went on materials became scarce so all (scraps) were used that is why you will see small patches on late war produced jerkins.
    Chuck him up!

May i ask what the purpose of theses was?

Were they meant to be an extra layer for warmth or did they have a specific purpose?

Utility & extra warmth plus used in WW1 up to the 50's too.

Quote by Lee View Post
    I have an early war one will take pics. at the outset of the war there was an abundance of materials. you will see the early versions with large panels. As the war went on materials became scarce so all (scraps) were used that is why you will see small patches on late war produced jerkins.Leather JerkinLeather JerkinLeather Jerkin
    Glad this worked. mine is not maker marked. i believe this was a private purchase as it has little add ons (snaps and leather trim under arms)
    I wish i had my uncles ww2 one. it may still be on the farm but i could not find it last trip. His had a sherman tank painted on the front. he spent the war in the UK working on tanks and working on German vehicles that came back from Europe. sadly he passed away before i could chat with him about some of the vehicles.
    Nice one, snaps could have been added for vehicle use ie rider? closer pics of the woolen liner will tell if late or early mfg.

Lee
    ?

hope this is good enough for you let me know. the wool is fine not the rough wool you can feel on some tunics.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Leather Jerkin  

Quote by Lee View Post
    hope this is good enough for you let me know. the wool is fine not the rough wool you can feel on some tunics.
    Hard to tell but I'd lean towards later mfg. Wool does appear to be thinner than earlier mfg.
    Adding in from what I've seen in hand, the post war ones are darker and nearly burgundy in colour.
    Last edited by reneblacky; 01-11-2021 at 03:56 AM. Reason: added text

Lee
    ?

the one picture the vest looks reddish but it is brown. it looks of finer quality and since no military tag i believe it is a private purchase one

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2