Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Local Find Ike Jacket

Article about: A few months back I found this really cool Ike jacket at a local antique store. The lady selling it told me that she picked it up from a local estate sale, and had no other information behin

Default Local Find Ike Jacket

A few months back I found this really cool Ike jacket at an antique store. The lady selling it told me that she picked it up from a local estate sale, and had no other information behind it. She only wanted $35 for it, so I went ahead and bought the thing. From the looks of it, I’d say the guy it belonged to saw a lot of historical events. All of the ribbon bars are sewn directly onto to the jacket. I’m still pretty new with collecting U.S. items, so I thought I would post it here to get some thoughts.

Best regards- Jarret

Local Find Ike JacketLocal Find Ike Jacket

Jarret,

This is a nice looking Ike jacket.. a couple of observations..based on the ribbons the soldier saw service in the Pacific in WW2 as indicated by the Asiatic Pacific ribbon, Philippine ribbon and WW2 victory ribbon. He most likely served in Japan on occupation duty as well as indicated by the occupation ribbon. Now he also served in the Korean war as indicated by the Korean service ribbon and United Nations ribbon. He most likely served with the 3rd infantry division in Korea, since the 3rd was in Italy during WW 2. His current patch places him serving in Europe post Korean war. I can't tell by the photo since I'm on cell phone if the patch is US Army Europe or if there is the Berlin tab over the rainbow, if that's the case the soldier was in the Berlin brigade stationed in Berlin. Either way this is a very nice looking uniform. I see it is missing collar brass but based on the combat infantryman badge it appear he was an infantry soldier, and he was also awarded 2 bronze star medals, maybe one in WW2 and the second in Korea..

Smitty

Wow! If only this jacket could speak!!

Thanks a ton for sharing this information with me. I really appreciate it!

Best regards- Jarret

Jarret,

Are there any names or numbers in the jacket? You will have to look in the pockets and everywhere to see if there is any possibility of doing some research.

Smitty

Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post
    Jarret,

Are there any names or numbers in the jacket? You will have to look in the pockets and everywhere to see if there is any possibility of doing some research.

Smitty
    I looked all over the jacket, and I was only able to find this tag in one of the breast pockets. I was told by a friend of mine that it’s a laundry tag. I’m not sure if that can be researched or not, but it’s the only writing I can find.

Best regards- Jarret

Local Find Ike Jacket

Jarett,

There is a possibility that this number can be traced.. Yes it is a laundry number but it also reveals the first initial of the Soldiers last name (M) and the last four of his ASN (Army serial number).. With some time it could possibly be traced.. I will see what I can do but it may take some time...

Smitty

Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post
    Jarett,

There is a possibility that this number can be traced.. Yes it is a laundry number but it also reveals the first initial of the Soldiers last name (M) and the last four of his ASN (Army serial number).. With some time it could possibly be traced.. I will see what I can do but it may take some time...

Smitty
    I would greatly appreciate that Smitty! For the few months I’ve owned this jacket, I’ve been wondering the story behind it. I completely understand if your search doesn’t come up with much. Thank you so much!

Best regards- Jarret

Looks like a great addition for $35. It's a very interesting jacket given the service it indicates. Well worth researching more, if you can.

MAP
    ?

Great find Jarret. A very nice jacket to a well decorated solider.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Jarett,

Greetings to you today.. Okay, so here it is: I found 90 possibilities on your uniform based on the laundry number info..

Search Results - Page 1 | WWII US Army Enlistment Records

Here is a link to the list of names that have 3804 as the last four numbers and the initial "M". This is where it could be very time consuming but also it could prove a possible match.. There are a few names you can eliminate from the search,, Since this uniform shows service during WW2 you can probably bypass enlistment dates of 1945, but don't dismiss them completely, focus on them last..

Now what is the easiest way to start your search: Well, there isn't one that I know of, other than taking the name of the Soldier,,, putting it into the google search engine and hitting enter.. Now there are a few other things you can do like putting quotation marks (") before and after the name and then select enter, and also some other things to narrow t he search like the name of the Soldier, Bronze Star Medal, Korea... or WW2 Service, Pacific.. ect.. You will have to play around with different ideas.. Also see if anything comes up through obituaries.. This could possibly be easier for you if you have ancestry.com or fold3.com which may be quickest, otherwise be prepared for a lengthy but possible research project..

The other option which of course will be very time consuming and not practical would be requesting the 90 records (one a time of course through the National Archives) (NARA)... I would save this as a last ditch attempt..

Another thing you could do is go back to where this was purchased and see if the woman would provide the information as to where the Estate sale was.. I know you mentioned she didn't have any other information but where the Estate Sale was will be a good starting point..

Let me know if I can further help you and I am sure that some of our other members here who do research will also give you some other suggestions I had not though of..

By the way, the link is to a website that has a few methods of locating soldiers through Army Serial numbers and laundry numbers..

Home | WWII US Army Enlistment Records

Just so you know how to navigate the site,, Where it says SEARCH RECORDS under that type in M-3804, then under the drop down where surname is: Select: LAUNDRY NUMBER and hit search... and you should see the 90 names if the link above this one does not work..

OK Good luck and let me know if you need help...

Smitty

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast