Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mystery US Navy Uniform.

Article about: Not sure where to put this post, but I guess here will do fine until I can find the era of the uniform. Hello! I acquired a new, and my first military uniform at an antique store. I have no

Default Mystery US Navy Uniform.

Not sure where to put this post, but I guess here will do fine until I can find the era of the uniform.
    Hello! I acquired a new, and my first military uniform at an antique store. I have no idea what the uniform's era is but it does have the name of the person who used it and their service number.
    I don't know what to get pictures of, so I'll just start with two simple pictures. I wouldn't mind sending more pictures via request for identification.

Mystery US Navy Uniform.
    Mystery US Navy Uniform.

Thank you in advance.

If there is a tag underneath the flap on the back, we would love to see it. It may help pin it to a particular era/date. Any insignia on the sleeves? or perhaps signs of where insignia used to be?

otherwise, it looks like a perfectly nice navy dress blues uniform.

I agree with Eagle Mtn..

Take a look at the whole uniform, inside and out for a manufacturers tag. This will help determine the age of the uniform. If this is a wool/felt uniform it will most likely be WW2 to Korean War era. If it is synthetic/polyester (I can't tell from the pictures) it will be post Korean War era and will possibly be Vietnam era.

The Navy cap that is with this uniform has the Sailors serial number.

Here is link to how the Navy had it's Sailors mark their equipment and uniforms.

https://www.history.navy.mil/researc...y-uniform.html

I did find 2 possible hits for R.W. Barbe in 2 separate Navy Rolls, but the key is to find out the era of the uniform. One record is from WW2 for a R.W. Barbe (No serial number information) that was assigned to the USS Albemarle (AV5) on December 30, 1941. The notes in the Muster roll state the Sailors were received aboard ship within an hour of Sailing time and information for their serial numbers and other information was not available. The rate for this Sailor was AAM3c (Aviation Machinist Mate 3rd Class)

Here is information about the ship: Aircraft Tender Photo Index (AV)

The second is an R.W. Barbe with the US Naval Mobile Construction Battalion No 133 in 1967 (No serial number information) (There is also a photo of this Sailor) but before we presume this is the Sailor, more information is needed...

Smitty

No response from the OP...

Would have liked to have had more photos...

Smitty

?

I think the Navy calls it a "jumper".
    Luc

Jumper, cracker jack uniform, dress blues... I've heard many labels for the same thing

I found another R W Barbe, this one an ACMM (so he might, might, be the same as the AMM3c found earlier on Albemarle in 1941) in 1946 transferring from VP-82 - OTU-3 to NAS Banana River.
    Service number doesn't match though, 2685109. Can't find any match for the 6744670 service number.

We can see that there are 3 cuff stripes, so someone was at least a Seaman 1c at some point. No rating on the right sleeve, so not a later PO in the seaman's branch. All the other branches, Artificer, Engine Room, Aviation, etc wore PO rates on the left sleeve. Can't see much of the left sleeve, but it doesn't look like there is a rating there.

So, seems we're dead in the water, as they say.

Personally, just from seeing these things, literally, all my life, I am inclined to think this is a post-war single enlistment jumper.

Sorry for not posting anything here, hope I'm not 'reviving an old thread' but I wasn't expecting to get any responses after the first few days.
    After looking at the uniform the tag states 100% Wool.
    I'll send some pictures on my phone soon.

Nothing wrong with reviving old threads and updates are always welcome.

Post photos when you get them
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

So now, for the thing we've been waiting for.

The top, jacket etc
    Mystery US Navy Uniform.Mystery US Navy Uniform.Mystery US Navy Uniform.Mystery US Navy Uniform.Mystery US Navy Uniform.Mystery US Navy Uniform.

Right sleeve
    Mystery US Navy Uniform.Mystery US Navy Uniform.Mystery US Navy Uniform.

Left sleeve
    Mystery US Navy Uniform.Mystery US Navy Uniform.Mystery US Navy Uniform.

Bottoms, trousers, pants etc
    Mystery US Navy Uniform.Mystery US Navy Uniform.Mystery US Navy Uniform.Mystery US Navy Uniform.

That's it for it all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast