Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Named WW2 barebones "10th mountain division" winter EM uniform

Article about: Hello all, today I went to a local garage sale and found as the title states a really nice condition WW2 EM winter uniform with a 10th mountain division patch without the "mountain"

Default Named WW2 barebones "10th mountain division" winter EM uniform

Hello all, today I went to a local garage sale and found as the title states a really nice condition WW2 EM winter uniform with a 10th mountain division patch without the "mountain" tab. The reason I put 10th mountain in quotations is that I can't find anything related to this man and the division so it might have been added later. Even though there isn't a rank patch or really any other insignia besides the EM collar disks and 10th mountain patch I thought for $30 it was worth it since it's in great condition. One interesting thing that this uniform has which I've never seen before, are two metal "pins" which go through the inside of the jacket and create two belt loops on the outside of the jacket. Other than that it has the name I. Kornblum with ASN 12228149 written in both the jacket and pants, I was able to find his enlistment record which I'll post a link to below. When I bought the uniform the seller told me about a few helmets he has that weren't in the best shape and that he'll bring them out tomorrow so you'll probably see a post featuring a few M1's from me at some point. Thanks for reading!

NARA - AAD - Display Full Records - Electronic Army Serial Number Merged File, ca. 1938 - 1946 (Enlistment Records)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Named WW2 barebones "10th mountain division" winter EM uniform   Named WW2 barebones "10th mountain division" winter EM uniform  

Named WW2 barebones "10th mountain division" winter EM uniform   Named WW2 barebones "10th mountain division" winter EM uniform  

Named WW2 barebones "10th mountain division" winter EM uniform   Named WW2 barebones "10th mountain division" winter EM uniform  

Named WW2 barebones "10th mountain division" winter EM uniform  

Just wanted to post an update I was able to find a database of almost all the people that served in the 10th mountain division during WW2 and was able to locate Irwin H. Kornblum. he served in company L of the 85th infantry regiment which saw combat in the northern Italian mountains. I was also able to find a group photo of company L from the Denver public library, though Irwin is not named there are a few people in the photo listed as "unidentified" so he could be one of those. From the picture it seems like a few of the men only have collar disks and a division patch on their uniform with no rank patches so I guess it wasn't uncommon to have a uniform with no rank patches on it at the time. It seems like the Denver public library is the official record keeper for the 10th mountain division so they have a lot of pictures and info on the division.

Here's a link to the PDF of the database I searched: CONTENTdm

Link to the company L picture with all the names and better resolution: CONTENTdm

Here's a link to an article about the 10th mountain divisions service in the Apennine mountains: The 10th Mountain Division's Deadly Uphill Battle in Italy

Here's a link to a website about the 85th infantry regiment in Italy: 10th. Mountain Division, 85th. Regiment
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Named WW2 barebones "10th mountain division" winter EM uniform   Named WW2 barebones "10th mountain division" winter EM uniform  

Last edited by Politefaun; 08-30-2020 at 04:18 AM.

This uniform dates to the era before the 10th Mountain division recieved the "mountain" designation thus making it just the 10th Infantry Division. The vet, if he didn't transfer out of the 10th Mountain Division, probably just didn't update the insignia on his jacket, or he possibly received a new one which he did end up updating and such. But, I would say this is definitely a very goo find for $30 with the name! Nice find!

Hunt

Just to clarify as well, this is a WW2 era uniform, most likely in the 1943-1944 range in terms of when it was worn. The 10th Mountain received the "mountain" designation in November of 1944 and that is when the tab was authorized to be worn with the SSI.

Thank you for the info huntssurplus! That lines up with what I was reading the other day, they got the tab issued after the mountain training which ended around that time. The 10th division was really interesting to look into I didn't know much about them before except that they were specialty troops, but not airborne. The information surrounding the uniform and what the men of that division went through really adds a lot to it.

If you look on the inside of the pockets you may find a manufacturers tag that may indicate that this is a early war 4 pocket uniform. There were 3 approved Service Coats from the era. This uniform was a follow on from the 1912 and 1926 service jackets. The common design date of the M-1939 coat (Which is the version you have here) is 2 July 1940, the pattern variation with the brass belt hooks and lower internal hung bellows pockets is dated to 19 December 1940. By March 1942 the enlisted service belt was no longer used and the brass hook supports were removed, so your uniform coat is an earlier design.

Smitty

Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post
    If you look on the inside of the pockets you may find a manufacturers tag that may indicate that this is a early war 4 pocket uniform. There were 3 approved Service Coats from the era. This uniform was a follow on from the 1912 and 1926 service jackets. The common design date of the M-1939 coat (Which is the version you have here) is 2 July 1940, the pattern variation with the brass belt hooks and lower internal hung bellows pockets is dated to 19 December 1940. By March 1942 the enlisted service belt was no longer used and the brass hook supports were removed, so your uniform coat is an earlier design.

Smitty
    Thank you for the information, before today I didn't know a lot about the 4 pocket uniform I'm happy to know that its an earlier version! I took a look at the inside of the pocket and found the code "13654D" on the inside of the bottom left pocket. I never knew about the brass belt loops until now and I don't think I've ever seen an enlisted service belt, though now I'll have to try and find one.