Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

NEED help Iding this Uniform, other forums didn't know.....

Article about: Going through my parents estate and found this uniform, our home is located in Northern California near San Francisco, not sure if that is helpful. I posted in another forum and they were no

?

Default NEED help Iding this Uniform, other forums didn't know.....

Going through my parents estate and found this uniform, our home is located in Northern California near San Francisco, not sure if that is helpful. I posted in another forum and they were not able to provide any information about this uniform. Does anyone here know what the CG on the buckle means and recognize the uniform and can provide me with a year/age of it and what it was used for? Any help is appreciated. Thank you in advance.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture NEED help Iding this Uniform, other forums didn't know.....   NEED help Iding this Uniform, other forums didn't know.....  

NEED help Iding this Uniform, other forums didn't know.....   NEED help Iding this Uniform, other forums didn't know.....  

NEED help Iding this Uniform, other forums didn't know.....   NEED help Iding this Uniform, other forums didn't know.....  

Well out of my collecting knowledge but my best guess is an Army Musician uniform, late 19th Century. U.S. Army musicians historically wore red on the field of battle to distinguish them from non-musicians. B. Pasquale Co. were established in 1854. Tunic appears to have enlisted infantry buttons and cap has 1872 Enlisted insignia. The belt is a mystery, California, Connecticut Guard? Although these buckles appear to be marked CNG (….National Guard). Look for markings on buttons and tunic, this may give more information.

I would guess it’s for the California Guard. State Guard as opposed to National Guard. Today State guards are more of a first responder organization, manned by vets retirees or civilians that can act as a militia in times of domestic invasion but are not a standing armed organization and are not a part of the actual military although they assimilate to a branch. I believe it’s a mostly volunteer organization.

CG, Coast Guard. The cap information reveals the details, Military Naval Society Goods and Uniforms.

?

Hey everyone, could this jacket possibly be a parade jacket maybe worn at the 1939 World's Fair Exposition on Treasure Island? The reason I ask, is in the estate there were 3 unrelated items from the 1939 World's fair on Treasure Island which is in the San Francisco bay and because the cap has a horn it makes me feel that maybe it was worn by a musician in a parade??????? Just trying to provide more clues, there are no other markings on or in the jacket, under the buttons or hat other than what I already provided. Let me know your thoughts as one of you felt it was from the 1800's vs 1939.

The horn was a symbol for infantry before the adoption of crossed muskets. But as Chris pointed out musicians historically wore red as their dress/parade uniforms. Just a spit ball but perhaps it’s a vets uniform of a guy who was a musician in an infantry regiment

Good point, even with British and Victorian Volunteer uniforms of the 1880's period, the horn or bugle was a badge used to signify Infantry units. So I would tend to agree it could be a Militia unit uniform.

?

Great information in hopes to solve this unidentified uniform/jacket, I wish we knew definitively, so if anyone else may know more information, I will continue to check back. THANK YOU!

Glanz, you wrote: "I posted in another forum and they were not able to provide any information about this uniform" - was it the usmilitariaforum.com?
    If not, try over there. It's really specialized source of information on any US armed forces militaria...