Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New Zealand Captain BD Blouse

Article about: Morning everyone, recently I managed to get this Battledress Blouse, New Zealand made, dated 1941; it was part of a lot that belonged to the British Army Captain “Ronald Stanley Edlin” of th

Default New Zealand Captain BD Blouse

Morning everyone,
    recently I managed to get this Battledress Blouse, New Zealand made, dated 1941; it was part of a lot that belonged to the British Army Captain “Ronald Stanley Edlin” of the Intelligence Corps (service No 308654).
    It is the pattern with the neck without hooks, but closed with flaps and button, the flap was removed at the time because it was uncomfortable to wear, considering the common practice of the British officers to wear the blouse with the open collar.
    I did a little research on Capt. Edlin, he served in North Africa and Balkans, as shown by an interesting reference letter signed by "Brigadier C. Douglas Roberts Head of Security Intelligence of Middle East", and his name is also mentioned on several occasions in the Supplement to the London Gazette.

Thanks for looking.
    Roberto

New Zealand Captain BD BlouseNew Zealand Captain BD BlouseNew Zealand Captain BD BlouseNew Zealand Captain BD BlouseNew Zealand Captain BD BlouseNew Zealand Captain BD BlouseNew Zealand Captain BD BlouseNew Zealand Captain BD BlouseNew Zealand Captain BD BlouseNew Zealand Captain BD Blouse
    Last edited by OldSteel; 04-24-2019 at 12:18 PM. Reason: add info

Nice to see. I would think this is NZ made, but not NZ Division used. Most likely Captain Edlin acquired the BD blouse from NZ forces he met in North Africa. A NZ blouse would most likely have "New Zealand" shoulder titles. It's known that British officers tended to like the New Zealand made BD uniform, which was a little bit different to the British made, such as the 6 button fly front rather than 5 buttons with the British blouse. I have seen a NZ made, Indian Army BD blouse for a Colonel which was probably acquired also in North African or Italy where the Indian Division fought along side the NZ Division. Bit hard to read the maker stamp, looks like "Kelly", size 3.
    Looks reasonably free from moth attack.

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Nice to see. I would think this is NZ made, but not NZ Division used. Most likely Captain Edlin acquired the BD blouse from NZ forces he met in North Africa. A NZ blouse would most likely have "New Zealand" shoulder titles. It's known that British officers tended to like the New Zealand made BD uniform, which was a little bit different to the British made, such as the 6 button fly front rather than 5 buttons with the British blouse. I have seen a NZ made, Indian Army BD blouse for a Colonel which was probably acquired also in North African or Italy where the Indian Division fought along side the NZ Division. Bit hard to read the maker stamp, looks like "Kelly", size 3.
    Looks reasonably free from moth attack.
    I confirm that the fabric with which it is made is of excellent quality.
    Yes, the manufacturer's stamp appears to be "KELLY LTD".

Manufacturers stamp looks to read Smuers & Kelly Ltd CN.
    I can not find this on the list of New Zealand manufacturers,
    and I presume CN is the abbreviation for Canada.
    Canadian Manufacture, issued by the NZ^D

Quote by PDavies View Post
    Manufacturers stamp looks to read Smuers & Kelly Ltd CN.
    I can not find this on the list of New Zealand manufacturers,
    and I presume CN is the abbreviation for Canada.
    Canadian Manufacture, issued by the NZ^D
    Thanks, Davies
    for these info, this could be an interesting possibility, and something unknown to me; the stamp is quite discolored and so I tried to add a new photo, as clear as possible, but I'm not sure of the presence of the CN stamp.

Regards

New Zealand Captain BD Blouse

Beautifully presented - thank you for that respect.

Quote by Composite View Post
    Beautifully presented - thank you for that respect.
    Thanks to you, Ade
    for appreciating and for the many information you always share in your detailed and interesting helmets posts.

Oldsteel
    CN is in the centre of the last photo you put up. Inside makers stamp
    Regards
    Pete

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast