Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

New Zealand Pacific War Camouflage uniform

Article about: Is this the rarest WW2 camouflage uniform type to survive to present day? The story; In 1941 the standard combat uniform of the NZ Army in tropical zones was khaki cotton drill. At the begin

US HBT used by 14th Brigade for combat operations on Vella Lavella. After this action the HBT was used on other islands as a fill in to standard camo.
    New Zealand Pacific War Camouflage uniformNew Zealand Pacific War Camouflage uniform
    New Zealand Pacific War Camouflage uniformNew Zealand Pacific War Camouflage uniform

NZ KD uniform worn by 3rd Division after combat operations in the North. Worn in New Caledonia.
    Also worn in NZ and Japan. The gloves are anti mosquito so not standard issue.

You Tube video about NZ Camouflage
    YouTube

Barry

Adding a few photos Barry sent me earlier of webbing equipment that was given the painted camo effect. Some actually got 3 colour over spray.

A couple of bush shirts with more olive colouration. I'm picking there was wet grey paint on the landing craft.

New Zealand Pacific War Camouflage uniformNew Zealand Pacific War Camouflage uniformNew Zealand Pacific War Camouflage uniformNew Zealand Pacific War Camouflage uniformNew Zealand Pacific War Camouflage uniformNew Zealand Pacific War Camouflage uniformNew Zealand Pacific War Camouflage uniformNew Zealand Pacific War Camouflage uniform

A few more web/ field equipment photos

New Zealand Pacific War Camouflage uniformNew Zealand Pacific War Camouflage uniformNew Zealand Pacific War Camouflage uniformNew Zealand Pacific War Camouflage uniformNew Zealand Pacific War Camouflage uniformNew Zealand Pacific War Camouflage uniform

MAP
    ?

Silly silly question. Where these uniforms sprayed with a dye or a normal paint? I would think if paint, it would make the uniforms quite stiff and prone to cracking and flaking off over time.

Yes, silly question. But why I ask is that in the late 70's / early 80's my artist friend would airbrush a record album cover on the back of denim jackets. They were somewhat flexible but stiff but being on the back it didn't really matter much.

He did however made very good pocket cash though Molly Hatchet, Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd were the most popular
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    Silly silly question. Where these uniforms sprayed with a dye or a normal paint? I would think if paint, it would make the uniforms quite stiff and prone to cracking and flaking off over time.

Yes, silly question. But why I ask is that in the late 70's / early 80's my artist friend would airbrush a record album cover on the back of denim jackets. They were somewhat flexible but stiff but being on the back it didn't really matter much.

He did however made very good pocket cash though Molly Hatchet, Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd were the most popular
    Time wasn't an issue for durability if you get that!!

A good question. The reason a flexible lacquer paint was used was because the quantity of dye needed was not available in New Zealand in 1943. Some green dye was used for helmet covers and some bush shirts. The painted khaki drill uniforms were stiff and had to be "worn in" and somewhat improved with wear and washing. But they were hot and uncomfortable and at the end of the campaign were largely abandoned on the islands, which is why examples are so rare today.

Quote by Anderson View Post

A NZ army patrol being inserted into Japanese held territory with assistance from US Marines. Note NZ soldier front, left has the New Zealand fighting knife in his belt.

Very interesting thread, thx. a lot, Gents !
    A wealth of information !

Default Nz camo webbing

Hi Anderson,
    very interesting information! I believe I have a example of the NZ hand painted camo webbing for these uniforms. the set has indian bata 1943 stamped straps, M.W & s.p 1944 basic pouches and a meco 1941 belt. there are plenty of worn and damaged spots on it. the rear of the pouches have the soldiers initials made with one tone of the camo paint, indicating it was certainly done in the field. Only the outside surfaces have camo paint, some insides have remains of green blanco.
    I am uncertain if it is specifically NZ, since there is a service number (1419813) written inside. my knowledge of nz stuff is not particularly high, so I have not had any success tracing the number's history, or if the nz troops even used them during ww2.

Here are 5 images of the set.

If anyone has any additional info I would be very grateful!
    cheers,
    Lance
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New Zealand Pacific War Camouflage uniform  

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast