Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Is this a original british uniform

Article about: Hello Ive bought this uniform last week The buttons were all removed and extra lift the dot systems were put in The interior seem very good made No stamps or lables inside The seller give me

Default Is this a original british uniform

Hello
    Ive bought this uniform last week
    The buttons were all removed and extra lift the dot systems were put in
    The interior seem very good made
    No stamps or lables inside
    The seller give me for free to the 3 Original medals I bought
    Is it a Reproduction or a original?

BR
    Bavarian
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is this a original british uniform   Is this a original british uniform  

British No2's Jacket although those pockets......Hmmm might be a service dress jacket. It depends on the age.

It seem like new Unissued

Another vote for Service Dress jacket here... worn on 'high days & holidays' only?

They were a personal purchase item for officers (to an approved pattern for each capbadge, with style variations - as well as different badges etc - for groups of regiments and Corps). Which makes it odd there's no label as the manufacturing tailor invariably added their details!

Now replaced by a freely issued (though seldom as well tailored) equivalent uniform - was called Future Army Dress (FAD) but not sure now its 'in'.

So, alternatively, perhaps an unfinished order that became surplus with introduction of 'FAD'?

If the 'lift the dots' are on the corner of pocket flaps, that was original on the set I purchased in the mid-90's... & carried over to replacement uniform; makes for neater appearance on parade

looks like the type they use now

To be honest they're not massively different & I'm now doubting my initial reply myself Harry! Colour / style of material might help but its subtle & may not show over internet. Nevertheless, I've quickly dug out my uniform...

I'm miles away from my old Service Dress unfortunately but there was massive scope for variation between Regiments/Corps & individual tailors so that might not've shown anything conclusive anyway...

So this is the current (now free) issue style & this example is approx 5 years old:

... answers my confusion above too: 'FAD' is now simply No2 Dress for all ranks (note 'pips' etc )

So any current item would look pretty much identical to this one. Material / style of the lining might help - there looks to be a difference? There should also be a label (or remains of) as shown.

As above, Service Dress would tend to exhibit little standardisation; but most likely with a 'sew on', not sewn in (to a seam), label for example.

As above, 'lift the dot' on corners of each chest pocket could be on either, at least from the last 30 years. There should be a 'hook' on each side near waistline (just visible on left side of picture here) for both 'FAD' & old Service Dress … but not old No2 IIRC?

Hope that helps?