Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Port of Embarkation Uniforms

Article about: Hi guys, I've been picking up a lot of uniforms recently, I've picked up several uniforms that have the port of embarkation patches on them so I'm assuming they apart of the transportation c

Default Port of Embarkation Uniforms

Hi guys, I've been picking up a lot of uniforms recently, I've picked up several uniforms that have the port of embarkation patches on them so I'm assuming they apart of the transportation corps. I noticed they are a lot cheaper than most other uniforms. I'm not sure why and I'd like to find out. I'm gonna guess because they didn't have very exciting jobs but they are important none the less.

Cal

Cal,

Your assumptions are correct in regards to the non-glamourous jobs that the POE Soldiers had.. Embarking and debarking so many combat troops and not being in any of the fighting... But their saving grace were the skills that they were trained on which kept them out of harms way..

These uniforms don't have all the combat ribbons and decorations but the stories of the men and women who were assigned to POEs is just as important to tell as those who stormed the beaches..

There were many positions in the POE: quartermaster, administrative, signal, Military Police, transportation just to name a few.. So based on your MOS (Military Occupational Specialty) it would not be uncommon to see collar brass for the above named jobs on a POE uniform..

There was much organization amid what looked like chaos at the ports in order to get the troops on the right transports and into the correct berths and assigned areas below decks on the ships.. The manifests were maintained by the POE personnel to make sure that all boarding were accounted for and no-one slipped out of formation to try to go AWOL and also to prevent unnecessary stow-aways who wanted in on the action... All up to the POE personnel...

The POE uniforms are worth picking up and again not as glamourous as the combat uniforms some folks prefer to collect these uniforms and groupings in order to tell "the rest of the story"..

Looking forward to seeing what POE uniforms you have picked up...

Best regards, stay safe

Smitty

A question for you Smitty.

Do such uniforms get bought and then sexed up with combat unit collar discs etc? POE uniforms is not a subject I know anything about.

Greetings Blackcat...

Hope your doing well..

In regards to your question... Yes these particular uniforms have not been spared from unscrupulous individuals trying to make some money.. BUT with this said I have seen and I have some POE uniforms that do indeed have combat ribbons and decorations on them which were earned by the Soldier. In some cases these Soldiers were wounded in combat to the extent that they could no longer serve on the front lines and but their injuries did not completely discharge them from the services. IN these cases the Soldiers were reclassified and their jobs changed and many of them became members of the POE.

I have some uniforms but they are in long term storage for now, so I can't post any photos at the moment..

Hope this helps..

Best regards, stay safe

Smitty

Thanks for your reply Smitty, I think owning a POE uniform that did have period combat insignia would be just as desireable as a full combat uniform. For me it's about the story behind such items and if one obtains such a uniform for a decent price then that is a bonus.

Happy collecting and stay safe.