MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

RAF Air gunners uniform group

Article about: Hi Guys, this is a small uniform group from my collection. It was purchased directly from the Veteran by someone whom I knew, but he is now deceased. He promptly split the group up! I manage

Default RAF Air gunners uniform group

Hi Guys, this is a small uniform group from my collection. It was purchased directly from the Veteran by someone whom I knew, but he is now deceased. He promptly split the group up! I managed to secure the jacket and after finding there were other items, I then chased up the other buyers to reunite the broken group. Fortunatly, they all were friends of mine who lived locally and they agreed to sell me the items. In fact, it was a husband and wife group. Lez obtained the ATS uniform which belonged to his wife and which now resides in her collection.

The airman "GH Holmes" was a Warrant Officer and an air gunner. I believe he served on Lancasters.

The first item I will show is his sheepskin Irving flying trousers. These are in great condition and have the original braces. Some of the zips are "Air Ministry" marked. He did keep the jacket too after he left the RAF, but wore it out using it for motorcycling after the war.

Each item is named and serial numbered to him.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RAF Air gunners uniform group   RAF Air gunners uniform group  

Default Re: RAF Air gunners uniform group

Here we have his service dress tunic, which is very small in size and has seen a good amount of use.

The lower sleeves bear his WO rank insignia. Warrant Officers being senior NCO's were allowed to wear private purchase tunics of Officers quality. These did not bear the eagle insignia on the upper shoulders like Other Ranks or more junior NCO's.

The breast shows his Air Gunners brevet and ribbon bar, with ribbons for the 1939-45 star, Air Crew Europe Star and Defence Medal.

The makers label is located on the inside jacket pocket. "Moss Bros" are a very well known tailors in Great Britain.

The tunic has two holes in the upper collar which once bore the brass "VR" insgnia of the "Volunteer Reserve". These he has removed in order to comply with the 1943 change in uniform regualtions.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RAF Air gunners uniform group   RAF Air gunners uniform group  

RAF Air gunners uniform group   RAF Air gunners uniform group  

His "Field Service" or "FS" cap is of Officers pattern. WO's were allowed to wear this pattern of cap. So the insignia is the same as used by Commisioned Ranks and is brass, two piece, with screwback fittings held in place by a one peice retaining plate.

Cheers, Ade.

RAF Air gunners uniform group   RAF Air gunners uniform group  

?

Lovely Group Ade and to have it's history and that of the man who owned it too !!

regards

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

ace
    ?

amazing how well it all looks after all these years. the trousers are just perfect

Adibug
    ?

This is amazing! I've been trying to track down the uniforms for any number of different armies to compare them to a pewter figure we discovered under our house which I'm using as a basis for a major assignment in Historical Archaeology. Your detailed info and photos have been a great help, thankyou so much!

Glad the pics were of use to you! Welcome to the forum!

Cheers, Ade.

Beautiful set Ade and good for you keeping it all together!!

You are also lucky as there is only one G.H Holmes listed in the 1945 RAF Air Force List, his service number was 187788 and he is listed as a Warrant Air Gunner as of March 29 on page 413 row 1702v.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RAF Air gunners uniform group  

Hi Gary, this is fantastic to see. Thank you very much!

Cheers, Ade.

?

Real nice grouping Ade. It is interesting to see the insignia set up on the cap.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast