Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Royal Army Medical Corps Majors No.1 Tunic

Article about: Hi All, Sharing a few more uniforms from my collection today. This is a No.1 tunic ranked to a Major of the Royal Army Medical Corps tailored by W.Jardine and Sons in Edinburgh for G.P. Stil

Default Royal Army Medical Corps Majors No.1 Tunic

Hi All,

Sharing a few more uniforms from my collection today.

This is a No.1 tunic ranked to a Major of the Royal Army Medical Corps tailored by W.Jardine and Sons in Edinburgh for G.P. Stilley. At some point however someone has stitched the collar holes for the RAMC badges up.

My research brought my to a Dr. George Percy Stilley T.D. of Edinburgh and from there (I can't remember exactly how) I was able to contact his grandaughter who put me in contact with her father; and Dr. G. P. Stilley's son. His son was able to supply more information, stating that his father always used the same tailors and he himself had prviously had kilts made there whilst he was younger. He also said that his dad had a fondness to horses and trains, so much so that he didn't pass a driving test until 1954. Like most he never spoke much of the war but did speak of his time as the Commanding Officer of the British Station Hospital in Asmara, Eritrea in 1949.
    I can't find the year Dr. Stilley signed up but he became a lieutenant in 1943 where the record lists him as George Percy Stilley M.D.
    Dr. Stilley was awarded the Territorial Efficiency Decoration in 1966.

This tunic was the one he wore for his Wedding in 1948 at Dunfermline Abbey and his son was able to find the photos of this.

I hope you all enjoy,

Matt
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Royal Army Medical Corps Majors No.1 Tunic   Royal Army Medical Corps Majors No.1 Tunic  

Royal Army Medical Corps Majors No.1 Tunic   Royal Army Medical Corps Majors No.1 Tunic  

Royal Army Medical Corps Majors No.1 Tunic   Royal Army Medical Corps Majors No.1 Tunic  

very nice with the known history and his wedding photo.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Now, start hunt for missing, original collar insignias!
    Like in the wedding photo.

I need to carefully unstitch the holes again once I do find a good officers pair of collar insignia. I'm not sure as to why anyone closed the holes to begin with.

?

Presumably, Major Stilley closed the holes himself, so it’s almost a shame to open them, although the collar badges would look smart...