Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Royal Artilllery Captains Service Dress Jacket

Article about: Hi All, An old one from my collection that I was sure I had posted before but I cannot find it anywhere. Please feel free to remove if this is a duplicate post. I bought this early on in my

Default Royal Artilllery Captains Service Dress Jacket

Hi All,

An old one from my collection that I was sure I had posted before but I cannot find it anywhere. Please feel free to remove if this is a duplicate post.
    I bought this early on in my collecting life, I was still in school and I don't believe I was working so this would have been bought on saved up pocket money.

It is a Royal Artillery Captains service dress jacket from the mid '40s, it retains brass fittings with kings crown buttons. The medal ribbon bar shows the 1939-45 Star, The pacific Star and the Defence Medal. This was sold to me as attributed to a Richard Charles Eld; however, someone had cut the label out. The seller was adamant that they had bought it from the family and provided Elds H.Huntsman customer number which did confirm this, however I've since lost these messages and the correspondance from H.Huntsman.

Eld was born 17th April 1915. His mother died in 1917 not long before his 2nd Birthday and his father died when he was just 11 years old. This meant Eld was placed into the care of his half sister and her husband - Col. Cusack Norman Roney-Dougal M.C MBE who were living in South Africa. I have attached an article from February 1927 that states that he was The Squire of Seighford Hall and that the Eld's could trace their lineage back to Edward Plantagenet.

Eld passed his flying test in 1938 where he listed his profession as Army Officer.

Eld was a part of the 9th Coastal Artillery Regiment stationed at the Johore Battery at Singapore which consited of three 15 inch guns. The Regiment and Eld was captured here in February 1942 during the evacutation where the guns were used to fire upon advancing Japanese Forces.

Eld remained as a Japanese POW for the remainder of the war in The Changi Gaol POW camp. Upon his return Eld married Margaret Morrell (who's family owned Morrell's Brewing Company) in 1946. I have a picture of this with him in uniform and his Step-sister Col. Roney-Dougal in too.

Eld Retained the title of Honourary Major upon leaving the army.

Eld was also the High Sheriff of Staffordshire in 1957 listed as living at Cooksland House/Hall.

I hope you all enjoy,
    Matt
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Royal Artilllery Captains Service Dress Jacket   Royal Artilllery Captains Service Dress Jacket  

Royal Artilllery Captains Service Dress Jacket   Royal Artilllery Captains Service Dress Jacket  

Royal Artilllery Captains Service Dress Jacket   Royal Artilllery Captains Service Dress Jacket  

Royal Artilllery Captains Service Dress Jacket  
    Attached Images Attached Images Royal Artilllery Captains Service Dress Jacket