Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Uniform ID

Article about: Good evening, I wonder whether any of you could help me with a uniform ID please. I am trying to colourise this photo but have got stuck on what colour the below uniform should be (the one i

RTH
    ?

Default Uniform ID

Good evening,

I wonder whether any of you could help me with a uniform ID please. I am trying to colourise this photo but have got stuck on what colour the below uniform should be (the one in the background not foreground). I have looked at the greatcoat online, and it seems similar to a Royal Navy one, but I semi dismissed it because it seemed an odd combination, airborne and navy. Would greatly value any opinions.

Many thanks in advance

Uniform ID

Well it is certainly not RN because the rank badges are totally wrong and the shade is certainly not Navy Blue.

With the image being so small I can't make out the rank badges and whilst they appear to follow British insignia convention they don't look quite right for British insignia. The cut of the coat looks wrong for British uniform too although it could be an overcoat in the style of the "British Warm" although the wearing of insignia on those is not normal. Overall I am leaning towards Northern European. However, having said that it could be a Guards Division officer but this is speculation as the image is not clear enough and does not show enough of the subject to assist.

The Brigadiers uniform looks to be post war but that doesn't help much.

Is this the whole image? If so why are you hoping to colourise it? There are far better and more complete images out there to spend the effort on.

To be able to offer anything useful a more complete image is needed unless anyone recognises the actual image and knows the subject.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

RTH
    ?

Thank you very much for that. Attached is the whole image. It is in the IWM archives entitled 'Allied Preparations for D-Day' with the date of the 16th of March 1944. The description is as follows:
    King George VI inspects paratroops of 6th Airborne Division, 16 March 1944.
    Also attached is the back of the photograph. Sorry, should have given you all the details straight off.
    Many thanks again
    Uniform ID
    Uniform ID
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Uniform ID  

Indeed context is massively important.

Looking at the full image I believe the Brigadier is Brig (later General Sir ) John Hackett who was severely wounded at Arnhem. The officer in the smock and beret is (I think) Lt Col Ken Smyth CO of 10th Bn Para Regt which is the unit being reviewed. As for the uniform in question I believe this is an army officer probably of the Household Division so that should help with the colours as such units differ slightly from the rest of the Army. For instance the officers shirt would be a much darker shade of brown than most regiments.

The overcoat worn by HM is of course in the style of a " British Warm" but would be a bespoke item unique to HM but there are many colour images of it available. What can be seen of the mystery officers hat suggests that the band is red so that will narrow it down a bit more and it seems that the lowest item on the epaulette is likely a royal cypher as worn officers appointed as Royal Equerry.

I hope this helps and I look forward to seeing what you uncover as this can surely not be the only image of this event and must be of a sequence.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

RTH
    ?

Sorry, another question. Would you have any idea regarding kit the paratrooper is wearing please? I got as far as:
    Denison smock
    1937 webbing
    Paratrooper helmet
    Some form of Lee Enfield?

I got stuck on the parachute, I looked but couldn't seem to find any period examples, except a post war version. I have been trying to look at reenactment gear as a reference, and have found these images.

Uniform ID
    Uniform ID
    Uniform ID

RTH
    ?

On an aside, Lt Col. Smyth seems to be a fellow with a dry sense of humour.
    During the same action, a column of German vehicles approached the positions of Headquarter Company from the direction of Arnhem. Smyth ordered the men to lie on either side of the road and ambush the convoy at close range, however the vehicles did not take the bait and instead battered the Company’s positions with every weapon at their disposal. During the fight, the pumping station was hit and exploded, scattering its tiled roof into the sky and it took about a minute for all of them to return to earth. Smyth drily commented “The landlord won’t like that”.
    Last edited by RTH; 10-17-2021 at 04:27 PM.

RTH
    ?

I think the Lee Enfield is possibly the Mk. 4. Unfortunately, I cannot work out whether they are wearing parachutes or just packs.

Regarding the mystery uniform; picture 5 gives a better view of what appears to be the same officer and it is clearly an army officer wearing a uniform greatcoat. Again the shade of the hat band is suggestive of red and the cap badge appears to be a staff badge as worn by colonels and brigadiers so I would expect his rank to be colonel. Picture 7 would be more helpful if you could enlarge it without too much loss of definition.

As for the rifle it is undoubtedly the Lee Enfield No4, the No4 (T) is also possible but that is simply the same rifle fitted for a scope in sniper use.

Regarding the parachute, as far as I am aware the essential visual difference for you purposes is that the colour of the webbing is a different shade on the post war 'chute but as I recall the difference is not that great as to be noticeable in a "re-enactment|" scenario.

Regards

Mark

RTH
    ?

Sorry, just to confirm, are you saying that the parachute should be of a similar colour to the webbing?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast