Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Uniform ID

Article about: Good evening, I wonder whether any of you could help me with a uniform ID please. I am trying to colourise this photo but have got stuck on what colour the below uniform should be (the one i

No, I am talking about the webbing harness which on POST WAR chutes is dyed a kind of sandy/khaki colour whilst the WAR TIME items were un-dyed natural canvass colour which would I suppose be called "off white".
    Of course the parachute canopy is not visible when inside the pack but they too have varied greatly in shade even during the war but mostly war time canopies would have been un-dyed silk, again a slightly "off white" although an olive green shade is seen.

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 10-18-2021 at 12:07 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

RTH
    ?

Thank you, I will make the pack that colour.

To be clear; the parachute pack (the bag containing the 'chute itself) and harness (the webbing system that "harnesses" the pack to the parachutist) are separate items which are assembled together.

The wartime parachute pack is basically the same colour as the post war type. It is the harness that is a neutral (aka white) canvass colour in the war time rig.

I hope this makes sense?

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

In the photo in question which you wish to colourise, no one is wearing a parachute.

The Officers greatcoat will be a dark khaki brown.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    In the photo in question which you wish to colourise, no one is wearing a parachute.
    Morning Ade,
    Quite so, I did wonder about that but the question was asked and apart from the initial image at the top of the thread there are quite a few others in which parachute equipment is at least partially visible so I assume they are part of the project too

As I said further up the thread, context to any question makes a massive difference to the answers you get

Regards

Mark

Looks like they are wearing the Vickers MG ammo box carriers. The thick felt padding to the shoulders is improvised.

WW2 British web Carriers, Ammunition, Vickers M.M.G
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

RTH
    ?

Thank you very much Ade and Mark. I think my stumbling sentences have confused everyone greatly. What I was trying to get was:
    a) What are the soldiers wearing on their backs?
    b) What colour would it be?

However I am sure that the additional information given regarding the parachutes will be very useful later on, and for this I thank Mark profusely.

Thank you very much again,
    RTH

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Looks like they are wearing the Vickers MG ammo box carriers. The thick felt padding to the shoulders is improvised.

Quite correct Ade! Now that we know just which piece of kit we are talking about It seems clear to me that this is the "Carrier Ammunition Vickers MMG which would of course be the same shade as the rest of the Patt 37 Webbing.

For reference here is Ades own input on the subject

Regards

Mark

RTH
    ?

Progress update:
    Uniform ID

I would really appreciate it if one of you could tell me whether the ammo carries and the mystery officer's warm are the correct colours please. Thank you very much

That looks fine!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast