Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unknown American Military Uniform

Article about: I got this uniform and was told it was a Vietnam Vet uniform Somebody else said it was 2nd Division from Korea. I dont know anything about American uniforms so any information yall can give

Thumbs up Unknown American Military Uniform

I got this uniform and was told it was a Vietnam Vet uniform Somebody else said it was 2nd Division from Korea. I dont know anything about American uniforms so any information yall can give me would be appreciated.

What is it worth?

Thanks
    John

Unknown American Military UniformUnknown American Military UniformUnknown American Military UniformUnknown American Military UniformUnknown American Military UniformUnknown American Military UniformUnknown American Military UniformUnknown American Military UniformUnknown American Military Uniform

Germany occupation set up I think - I'll take it for a $1, surely you know that there are no price evaluations done here? tag shots no?

Hello WWIIBuff,

I have been able to identify the Medal Ribbons for you as follows :

Unknown American Military Uniform

Medal Ribbons Top Row (Left to Right)

1) Army Commendation

2) Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal (Instituted in 1961 for Missions in Lebanon, Laos, Thailand)

Bottom Row (Left to Right)

1) Army Good Conduct Medal

2) National Defence Service Medal

3) Army of Occupation

Hope it helps.

Best wishes

Andrzej

Someone added a few extras. On the pocket with the name tag, that's a Navy presedential unit citation, so that shouldn't be there. The drill sergeant device under the name tag should be on the other pocket, but in the same location. The green felt tabs on the epaulets would have had the unit/brigade/division crests pinned to them. Only NCO's had them. The green FOURRAGERE, I'm not sure if this guy would have been authorized, outside of the unit he was serving with, if he could have continued to wear it. More here Fourragere - Wikipedia The blue cord and discs are only for the US infantry, and there are the crossed rifles, so that's right.

I have to disagree with Paul on the location of the Drill Sergeant Badge. For this era uniform it is in the proper location on the wearers right side.

The Army Regulation changed when the Army approved the Army Service Uniform ( the old Dress Blue)version, which was approved for wear as the primary uniform replacing the old Army Dress Green uniform. This regulation/change did NOT include the Army dress green uniform as it was phased out by this time.

With this said, had this been a later uniform such as the ASU (Dress blue) then the wearer has the option to continue wearing on the right or switch to the left side depending on number of badges as well as wanting to have the combat service ID badge worn solely on the right pocket. The Combat service ID Badge (also known as former wartime service, also known as COMBAT PATCH) was replaced when the dress green uniform was phased out and the combat badge replaced the combat patch which would have been sewn on the dress green right shoulder (had the Soldier been in combat)

The following information is direct from Army Regulation 670-1: Guide to the Wear and Appearance of Army Uniforms and Insignia May 25, 2017.

(8) The drill sergeant ID badge is worn on the wearer’s right side (see para d(18) for wear on the left side). This badge
    is authorized as a nonsubdued metal badge, and as a subdued pin-on and sew-on badge. Officers who were awarded the
    drill sergeant badge as a permanent award while in an enlisted status are authorized to wear the badge.

(18) Personnel may move the Army Staff badge or any badge with lower precedence (normally worn on the wearer’s
    right side) to the wearer’s left side when wearing the combat service ID badge on the service uniform and Army blue, mess
    and evening mess uniforms. This allows the combat service ID badge to stand alone on the right side or be worn with other
    right side badges. Personnel authorized to wear more than four ID badges have the option of choosing the badges worn, as
    long as they comply with the wear policy outlined above. Personnel must wear the badges on the side authorized for wear
    and in the order of precedence outlined above. If badges are moved from the right side, they are worn in the order of
    precedence noted in paragraph e.
    Note. The placement of the ID badges also applies to the Class B version of each service uniform.

US Army uniforms can get to be confusing with all the upgrades and updates to uniform policies and restrictions as well as phase in and phase out dates..

When the new "Pinks and Greens" uniform replaces the Army Service Uniform as the every day uniform for wear and the Army Service Uniform (Dress Blues) revert back to being a more formal dress uniform then you will start to see some of the older policies put back into place such as combat patches being sewn back onto the right shoulders as well as some other regulations that were in place with the Army Green uniform..

Smitty

It's been 30 years since I wore one hehe I remembered the Drill Sergeant and Recruiter badges being on the left. I did some looking and they are on the right side. My bad.

So This is a U.S Army Drill Sergeants uniform?
    Thanks
    John

John,

It is not specifically a "Drill Sergeants" Uniform as there is no such thing. This is a Army dress green uniform and the wearer attended and successfully completed Drill Sergeant school and was eligible to wear the Drill Sergeant badge. With that said the 2nd Infantry Division patch would indicate his current assignment within the division. The wearer most likely was assigned to the Division after his tour as a Drill Sergeant. Drill Sergeants are assigned to the Army's Training and Doctrine Command (TRADOC) and they all wear the TRADOC shoulder patch (See below). You could be a drill sergeant at Ft Jackson or Fort Benning, or Ft Leonard Wood and you would wear the same TRADOC patch no matter what installation you were at serving as a Drill Sergeant.

After you come "off the trail" (When the Drill Sergeant's Tour is complete after x many years, usually 3-4 years) then you go back into the FORSCOM (Forces Command) units such as the 2nd Infantry Division but you can continue wearing the Drill Sergeant badge as it was a skill badge earned after graduating from a TRADOC/Army School.

Hope this makes it clearer for you..

Smitty
    Attached Images Attached Images Unknown American Military Uniform 

Value wise, it's not worth very much. Some places might list it for 50, 60, even a 100 dollars, but really It's not worth more than 20 or 30 TOPS I'd say. Just not a lot of collectability for someone who didn't see combat. Prices can fluctuate a lot though. It really depends on the person. I probably would pass though, no matter the price, unless I found it in something like a thrift store.

Hunt

John,

There is a unique quality to this uniform, some may not have even noticed it. The Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal is unique and based on the other ribbons of this Soldier. This Soldier has 12 years of service as indicated by the 3 hash marks on the sleeve (9 years there, as each hash mark is for 3 years) and his Army Good conduct ribbon has 3 additional years. (The Army Good conduct ribbon itself counts as the first 3 years of good conduct and the knots indicate each subsequent 3 year period of good conduct). He also has the Army of Occupation Ribbon which would indicate his service in Berlin, Germany at one point. (This ribbon was authorized from May 1945 to October 1990. Occupation of Japan (September 1945 to April 1952 would have been over by this time so the Army of Occupation Ribbon is for service in BERLIN)

The AFEM (Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal) could have been awarded for his time in Korea IF he served there between the dates of 1 October 1966 to 30 June 1974. That was a very tumultuous time with several incidents that occurred along the DMZ and being stationed in Korea at that time he would not necessarily be eligible for a Combat patch but all Soldiers on the DMZ MAY have been eligible for the AFEM...

Looking at some of the criteria and events which would most likely fit this service members time and the events that awarded the AFEM he most likely was not involved in the Dominican Republic (Operation Power pack) from April 65 to September 66.. or the Cuban Missile Crisis which was an earlier event (October 62 to June 63)..or later operations in Grenada (1983) or Panama in 1989, and then if he deployed to either location would most likely have a combat patch on the right sleeve...

This is pure speculation here:

I am guessing that he came into the military between the dates of January 1961 to August 1974 at which time he would have been eligible for the National Defense Service Medal as this was during the Vietnam Conflict. The next time the National Defense Service Medal was authorized would be during Operation Desert Shield/Storm in the 1990s. He completed basic training and was sent to Korea as his first duty station where he was then eligible for the AFEM ribbon for service on the DMZ or during other events as I indicated in the dates above for Korea eligibility for the ribbon. After this tour he may have attended the Army Drill Sergeant School and upon graduation became a Drill Sergeant for a few years. After this assignment he went Berlin, was awarded the Army of Occupation Ribbon and then returned to the states for another assignment and then went to Korea once again where we see this uniform as it stands now.

It is rather unique and if the ribbons are original to the uniform (Minus the Presidential Naval Unit Citation Ribbon) then this is an infantryman who didn't see any combat but was still eligible for the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal at one point in his career...

What were the dates on the uniform tags, If I remember correctly they were late 60's early 70s??

Smitty

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast