Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

US Army Ordinance Corps Belt Buckle?

Article about: Can anyone Identify this belt buckle. It matches the rest of the US military buckles on the back with the "solid brass" stamps. I am assuming US Army Ordinance Corps on this one, b

Default US Army Ordinance Corps Belt Buckle?

Can anyone Identify this belt buckle. It matches the rest of the US military buckles on the back with the "solid brass" stamps. I am assuming US Army Ordinance Corps on this one, but there is scant little information online on this.

Thanks in advance
    US Army Ordinance Corps Belt Buckle?

Just me,

This is known as a PX souvenir. They were never official US Army issue. You will see many variations of the many Army branches, Infantry, Military Police, Engineers, Artillery, Air Corps, Chemical Corps, Etc. Some Entrepreneuring folks would take either an enlisted collar brass insignia or in some cases officer collar brass and cut the screw back or pin back off the back of enlisted collar brass or officer brass and attach it to a brass buckle like the one you have here and make an unofficial buckle. Many of these were made during the World War Two era but again they were not official issue or in some cases authorized.

There are also many of these examples with the Division patch (metal version) affixed to a buckle. I have some for the 7th Infantry Division (post WW2 for the Korean War era) and many of these buckles were made for infantry regiments as well, utilizing the units regimental crest. Some of the infantry units would mass produce these to give out to incoming officers, NCOs and enlisted Soldiers to boost esprit de corps within the units. Not solely for infantry units as other units have also carried forward this tradition as well as other branches of the military to include the Navy. (Common to see with either surface warfare ships or submarines).

Also, the correct terminology for the branch is ORDNANCE which is a mass noun referring to military materials such as weapons, ammunition, equipment, and vehicles.

ORDINANCE is a municipal or county law.

It is a very common mistake, similar to Chaplain Corps and Chaplin (like the actor Charlie Chaplin).

Hope this information was helpful

Best regards

Smitty

?

Smitty has said it all nice buckle

?

Here's one I picked up a while back
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US Army Ordinance Corps Belt Buckle?