Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

USAAF Brigadier Generals uniform

Article about: Hello everyone, i'm interested in purchasing this supposed ww2 USAAF brigadier generals uniform. I was hoping if some of you guys could help me figure out if its an original uniform or if it

?

I thought maybe you thought I was thick and had to repeat yourself!!!!!LOL!!!
    Is the wearing of the oversea's bars on the right sleeve, a Post WW2 thing? Looking at my WAC(SSgt) and also enlisted(Tech Sgt) and officer uniforms the overseas bar are on the left.?????
    Or am I getting service stripes confused? But looking at my Jackets, the what I thought were overseas bars are on the left sleeve. I know it's an Army thing!!LOL.
    Oh I wanted to know if the wings are marked also? That marking can point to war time and post war time flying by the makers mark?
    It was the 5 DFC's that he is sporting that had me thing at the least senior wings.
    One other thing is if he was oversea's(PTO ribbon) he would have been attached to some one. Shouldn't that patch be on the shoulder of the right sleeve?(Combat Patch)

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Last edited by AZPhil; 07-11-2020 at 07:11 AM. Reason: Added question

?

Haha np Phil!
    I believe the uniform is from 1946-1947 as there was a period of time in which "Class A" uniforms were a thing and when the Air Force was split from the army, and the wings are marked "LGB STERLING"
    The uniform being from 1946-47 could also explain why he has no combat patch as he would've been moved over to VA by then and had been there for a time being? That would be my best guess

?

In the Korean war they moved the service stripes to the opposite arm of the WWII uniform

I believe a general would have enough time prior to WWII to have an American Defense ribbon/medal or if it’s post 1950 he should have a National Defense Medal. Also a little strange to have more DFCs than AM isn’t it???

Wally is there any way we could get pictures of the backside of pinned insignia (rank, breast insignia, lapel insignia)

?

Hey everyone just an update here, in between post #12 and #13 I negotiated with the seller and decided to take a risk and purchase the uniform, unfortunately it's projected to arrive sometime next week while I'm on vacation so unless it arrives sometime this weekend I won't be able to give you guys updates until sometime after the 27th.
    Thanks to everyone who gave me advice/help in this thread, it was greatly appreciated

?

Well have a great vacation Wally.
    Looking forward to seeing and hearing more.
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Wally,

Looking forward to hearing more about this uniform.. Sorry I'm late to the party.. I have some reservations about it,,, I'm not a fan of the stitching of the shoulder patch first thing. If this is a General Officer uniform it would have/should have been professionally sewn.. It looks like it was done very crudely..

Provenance? Again one of the many killers now for uniforms is the lack of any type of name or an associated photo with the General wearing said uniform which could also help solve the mystery of the ribbons.. For so many Air Medals and DFCs he would at least rate Senior wings if not command wings...

I'm really on the fence right now..

Hope it turns out to be a good purchase for you...

Smitty

?

Well it arrived.....
    Here are some pics of the inside where the ribbons are pinned, where the VA patch is sewn, and a string of numbers that I don't know what they're there for
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture USAAF Brigadier Generals uniform   USAAF Brigadier Generals uniform  

USAAF Brigadier Generals uniform  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2