Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

WW2 1945 British Jungle Greens

Article about: My wife got me a set of ‘Jungle Greens’, slouch hat and other little bits and pieces for Christmas. As I was very good boy this year I got two battledress blouses. The BD trousers and blouse

Very nice, military kukri knives are really hard to find. Having one from a relative makes it even better.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

I must admit I was quite surprised as I’d convinced myself they were some sort of market souvenir.
    I just need to give them a sympathetic restoration now

Well it took most of the day but I’ve carried out a “sympathetic” restoration to both kukris.
    They were covered in quite a thick covering of varnish that took a while to shift. I quickly got bored of the cotton bud approach and used cotton wool balls and a Stanley knife blade for the stubborn bits. The handles had a very light sanding with high grade paper so as not get rid of the old dinks and dents. I then oiled the handles.

I gave the sheaths a clean, however, I’ve not removed the varnish as I was concerned that it might damage the leather.

Unfortunately the pictures are all over the place but hopefully you get the idea of the before and after.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 1945 British Jungle Greens   WW2 1945 British Jungle Greens  

WW2 1945 British Jungle Greens   WW2 1945 British Jungle Greens  

Last edited by Grimebox; 05-26-2021 at 08:35 AM.

The finished result. What I like about these kukri’s is the “honest” wear. It’s often forgotten that Kukri’s weren’t primarily a fighting knife but a utilitarian tool as can be seen by the marks on the back of the blade where it’s been used to hammer something.
    The cleaning up process also brought up a stamp on the wood, although I’m not quite sure what it says or means.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 1945 British Jungle Greens   WW2 1945 British Jungle Greens  

Quote by Grimebox View Post
    A 1945 dated Millbank bag. These were issued for use to filter dirty water
    Didn't see this when first posted but it brings back memories for me! We were issued these in the mid '70s and even then we thought it a bit weird but just accepted it as normal field gear. There was even a training period on the proper use. The associated "Tablets, Water Purification" were identical to the WWII kits too albeit with later production dates!
    I'm not sure what the recruits of today would make of it but I expect the modern equivalent is accepted every bit as readily.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

I thought I’d show these Far Eastern blood chits and silk maps to this thread. More are shown on Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!

Last edited by Grimebox; 10-12-2021 at 01:03 PM.

I have received some more photographs of John Addy in the Far East. Where the photos are inscribed I will post them separately.

As previously stated if you haven’t read 1944 Post D-DAY (Bayeux) Description of fighting in soldiers personal letter I would encourage you to do so.

I would be interested in comments on the rather hard nosed male with the para wings. Would he be from the Parachute Regt?

“Don’t take the Mike out of my pal. Love John”

“The face of Bill on hearing when group 58 gets out!”

A 48 page booklet about Ceylon (Sri Lanka) for all ranks and ratings of the fighting services. Dated 1943.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast