Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WW2 Royal Navy 5A Working Dress uniform

Article about: Here is a WW2 Royal Navy 5A Working Dress uniform for a RNVR Sub Lieutenant. (not to be confused with Battledress as the Admiralty expressly stated that it was not to be referred to as such!

Default WW2 Royal Navy 5A Working Dress uniform

Here is a WW2 Royal Navy 5A Working Dress uniform for a RNVR Sub Lieutenant. (not to be confused with Battledress as the Admiralty expressly stated that it was not to be referred to as such!!!!)
    The blouse is dated 1944 and the trousers 1945. They are both of a very large size and despite what the labels say there is still a lot of room on this 6’2” mannequin. The deck boots are size 11 and dated 1945 so all in all it would fit a very large man. The cap is well worn and undated but from WW2 (it was discovered in an attic with a WW2 dated blouse which was thrown away by the finder as it had a hole in it!!!), unfortunately it is a little on the small size. He is carrying a pair of Barr and Stroud CF41 7X binoculars. The serial number dates them to 1944.

The trousers are near mint, however, the blouse does have some mothing but for £4.99 I’m not going to complain. The boots only cost £25 as they appeared to have spent most of their post service life as a pair of ice skates.
    The shirt and tie are modern. I would be interested to see an original WW2 shirt or tie if anyone has one as I have been unable to find any.

I have shown some wartime images showing the working dress in wear
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 Royal Navy 5A Working Dress uniform   WW2 Royal Navy 5A Working Dress uniform  

WW2 Royal Navy 5A Working Dress uniform   WW2 Royal Navy 5A Working Dress uniform  

WW2 Royal Navy 5A Working Dress uniform   WW2 Royal Navy 5A Working Dress uniform  

Here he is shown with what I believe to be a Royal Navy ‘Sound deafening’ headset/helmet. Basically it is a canvas helmet and the ear pieces are solid and filled with sound deadening material (surprisingly good). I believe that they were used on aircraft carriers, however, I’m willing to be corrected.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 Royal Navy 5A Working Dress uniform   WW2 Royal Navy 5A Working Dress uniform  

Link to my WW2 ‘officer of the watch’ telescope

WW2 Royal Navy Officer of the Watch Pattern 373 telescope

Nice set up

I especially like the Barr & Stroud CF41 binos! They coninued in service use into the '80s.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

I’ve got a 1942 dated anti-flash hood. I’m still looking for an appropriate shirt and tie

I’ve got a pair of 1942 anti-flash gloves to go with the hood

Thanks for sharing your Royal Navy collection. Compared to the army and RAF, RN items never seem to be as popular. Which I find strange, given how important this service was to Britain throughout its history. I've managed to pick up a few pieces over the years, including the anti-flash gloves, hood, lifebelt and uniform rig of a Percy Pidgeon. I hope you don't mind me sharing these here, as they make a good comparison to your items. Almost everything is marked PP / Pidgeon and is patterned or dated around 1941-2.

WW2 Royal Navy 5A Working Dress uniformWW2 Royal Navy 5A Working Dress uniformWW2 Royal Navy 5A Working Dress uniformWW2 Royal Navy 5A Working Dress uniform

I do have some other Royal Navy bits and pieces (although not as in good condition as yours!). It is strange why the Navy stuff doesn’t seem as popular (I think it’s the same with the Kreigsmarine), especially as it would appear to be rarer.

Yes, that's probably true and certainly includes the US Navy as well. Here are some summer items from another RN grouping, which includes several bits of equipment and his named pocket knife. The British really cornered the market for baggy shorts in both world wars!

WW2 Royal Navy 5A Working Dress uniformWW2 Royal Navy 5A Working Dress uniformWW2 Royal Navy 5A Working Dress uniformWW2 Royal Navy 5A Working Dress uniform

Here are another few shots, this time of two different uniforms: an anti-aircraft rating and a Petty Officer. The rating's uniform is from the same man, apart from the anti-flash hood and gloves already seen above. The white cotton jacket on the PO came with another grouping but is a private purchase item, named but without any insignia attached. The RN helmet and both sets of deck boots have been added to complete each impression.

WW2 Royal Navy 5A Working Dress uniformWW2 Royal Navy 5A Working Dress uniformWW2 Royal Navy 5A Working Dress uniformWW2 Royal Navy 5A Working Dress uniformWW2 Royal Navy 5A Working Dress uniformWW2 Royal Navy 5A Working Dress uniform

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast