Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WW2 US Artillery Officer's Ike Jacket

Article about: Hello all, I just got this US Artillery Officer's Ike Jacket in the mail the other day. I was able to get the jacket for a good price so am happy with it despite the moth damage it has in se

Default WW2 US Artillery Officer's Ike Jacket

Hello all, I just got this US Artillery Officer's Ike Jacket in the mail the other day. I was able to get the jacket for a good price so am happy with it despite the moth damage it has in several areas. I'm not sure if the Bronze Star ribbon bar is original to the jacket or added by a collector and I am also a little baffled as to the ribbon on the far right on the ribbon bar. I was unaware of what medal this would symbolize so did a quick google search and found that it's an Air Force Organizational Excellence medal that was instituted in 1969? This doesn't make much sense to me so am confused as to whether I found the wrong ribbon or am just confused haha I'm hoping I can do some more research into this jacket but am currently quite sick so may put it off for a few days; however, any and all opinions and comments are welcomed and appreciated as always!

WW2 US Artillery Officer's Ike JacketWW2 US Artillery Officer's Ike JacketWW2 US Artillery Officer's Ike JacketWW2 US Artillery Officer's Ike JacketWW2 US Artillery Officer's Ike JacketWW2 US Artillery Officer's Ike JacketWW2 US Artillery Officer's Ike JacketWW2 US Artillery Officer's Ike Jacket

?

Rank devices are good. It is pinback. Rich A. in Pa.
    1969 Shelby GT-500 King of the Road
    Knowledge is power, guard it well.

?

I believe your jacket is a put together jacket. Its missing the stripe for the officer on the lower sleeve. Enlisted men would buy these jackets because they fit better and looked better.

Hi there

I believe put together.

The patch is worn in the current serving unit 278th RCT 1951 to 1954.

Does it have a Honorable discharge fading?

Phill

The jacket is a Regulation Officer's jacket. Keep in mind that Officer's had to purchase their own clothing so it is not uncommon to see Officer's Ike jackets without the cuff braid or in some cases tailor made jackets did not add them at the request of the officer (again due to cost). There are some very famous photos of General Patton and Eisenhower wearing Ike jackets without the braid. In some cases the cuff braid was still on the 4 pocket uniforms that were cut down to Ike jackets..

As far as the ribbons and other accoutrements, I would be skeptical to believe that they were original to the uniform. And the last ribbon is an Air Force Organizational Ribbon..

Smitty

Guys I might be missing something here, and possibly wrong.

Are we saying that the individual is serving Korea/Post Korea, however this would be the jacket individual was currently wearing at the time?

Phill

?

I would say a WWII dated jacket but has been dressed up to sell for more. The patch is awfully frayed for an officers jacket . Gary

Gary,. I agree with your assessment about this uniform being embellished to sell...
    I think the 278th RCT was a stateside unit...
    During the Korean war..I don't have my references available at the moment though...

Smitty

Hi Smitty

278th RCT Tennessee NG 1951-54 period

cheers Gary

Phill

Thanks Phill...I knew you would know..

Smitty

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast