Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WWII Australian SD Uniform

Article about: Hello, I got this uniform in a grouping of Australian stuff, etc... posted the hat already. Believe this to be a WWII SD uniform worn during WWII by a WWI vet. He was a Captain. The soldier

Default WWII Australian SD Uniform

Hello,

I got this uniform in a grouping of Australian stuff, etc... posted the hat already. Believe this to be a WWII SD uniform worn during WWII by a WWI vet. He was a Captain. The soldier earned the Military Cross, the 1914-15 star, British War Medal, and the Victory Medal. Has the tunic, pants, and tie (I apologize that I don't have a picture of the tie). Has the wool patch with grey background stating that the Captain was in the 2/3rd MG Battalion. I have tried to research Captains in the Australian Army during WWI who got the Military Cross but that has not worked out for me. I looked up Officers in WWII getting the MC in the 2/3rd MG Battalion but only one guy got that and he was a different rank. The tunic is inscribed with "AWM", I'm thinking Australian War Memorial. Both the tunic and pants have the same number in them too. Would love to hear your thoughts and opinions!

?

AWM very unlikely to be the Memorial. May be a tailors order number since there is no tailors label.

Could be name initials.

Yeah, I was thinking initials (and still may be initials) but I don't know how old the writing is... I did look up Military Cross recipients (from WWI and WWII- WWII ones from the 2/3rd MG Battalion) and tried to match the "AWM" with the names without any luck. Maybe still initials? I have e-mailed the Australian War Memorial anyway and I will update on what they say about it. Stay safe! Ian.

?

What's that old song ,
    Things that make you go Mmmmmmm

Unusual markings and unusual for his rank not to be named and numbered with his service number.

AIF
    ?

Killer uniform, thanks for sharing. Sorry I can't help you out. Although it reminds me of an Aussie uniform that I own that has AJX and a number written inside.

AIF
    ?

Should also add, are you sure the riband bar is even original to the tunic? I would have expected to see miniature patches from his WW1 unit worn on the sleeves if he was a veteran and although they appear to be nice original silk the bar does look a little fresh.

Update: So, as it turns out, "AWM" does stand for Australian War Memorial, I emailed them and they confirmed. The uniform was in their possession until the early 1990's when they gave it to the Victory Museum in Belgium. Apparently they forgot to take the tags off.

Yes, the bars do seem in good shape. Would they be in good shape because the museum took good care of them? Or the Veteran replaced the bars later after the war because the other bars were trashed? What do you mean by miniature patches? Never heard of them! Ian.

AIF
    ?

That's interesting information, did they have any other details about the uniform? It's also just another good reason, in a long list of them to never give anything to museums especially the AWM... They have a bad rep for stuff like that.

Could you take the bar off and show me the back? I will soon tell you if it is Australian.

As for the miniatures, if a soldier had previously served in the first world war or even in a seperate unit during the second they were entitled to wear a miniature colour patch of the unit above their current full sized colour patch. Although most did, it wasn't a regulation.

Here's an example of miniatures in wear
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWII Australian SD Uniform  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast