Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

WWII Australian SD Uniform

Article about: Hello, I got this uniform in a grouping of Australian stuff, etc... posted the hat already. Believe this to be a WWII SD uniform worn during WWII by a WWI vet. He was a Captain. The soldier

Well, to be honest, the AWM gave the uniform to another museum (The Victory Museum in Belgium) (every nation pitched in) which closed down in 2000. Apparently, everything in the museum (except one plane) was sold to an American collector when it closed down. AWM probably had no idea that the museum was going to close when they gave the uniform. It's a shame though because that museum seemed interesting. But yeah, some museums do, unfortunately, sell some of their donated items. Thank you for the picture of where the miniatures go! Yeah, I don't think he had them, but it wasn't really regulation. And of course, I will take a picture of the bar. Best regards, Ian.

?

Quote by AIF View Post
    That's interesting information, did they have any other details about the uniform? It's also just another good reason, in a long list of them to never give anything to museums especially the AWM... They have a bad rep for stuff like that.
    Agreed , I wouldn't donate anything to any museum in Australia anymore.
    Been there done that , give it away for free to a good cause then find it pop up for sale a few years later .
    Cheers Rick

Bit late here, nice uniform. I was going to say the AWM no. is a catalogue no. but I'm a scaredy cat!

Quote by Rick W View Post
    Been there done that , give it away for free to a good cause then find it pop up for sale a few years later .
    Cheers Rick
    That's just crap Rick!!!! F%&$ers!!!

Quote by Rick W View Post
    Cheers Rick
    Don't lend crap either, I did that and had to fight to get my junk back!!

?

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    Don't lend crap either, I did that and had to fight to get my junk back!!
    Your lucky mate,
    I found my "on Loan" items for sale on the interweb , as George W used to say

Well im sure most of us Aussies remember a certain decorated Soldier who worked at the AWM and a number of other museums in the 70s and what he got up to. I would never donate to a museum, most would rather let the uniforms get moth eaten on an old mannequin than take care of it.

?

As the AWM has a record of donation, does it also have a record of how it was aquired?

Ok, I don't think AWM sold it, they just gave it to another museum to display without the intention for them to sell it. But unfortunately the museum they gave it to ran out of business, so to speak, about 10 years later and sold everything. So, in this instance, AWM is not to blame for selling it. Anyway, yeah, I asked for more information on the uniform but did not get a reply. Was it acquired from the veteran? Who knows, probably only the museum. I hope they do get back to me so I know the full story and label it correctly for when I display at events.Ian

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2