Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Is this Air Medal WW2 Era?

Article about: I believe this USA Air medal to be a WW2 era due to the Slot Brooch. However i am not familiar with cases, and i was wondering if the case it is in is a indicator of it being pre or post war

Default Is this Air Medal WW2 Era?

I believe this USA Air medal to be a WW2 era due to the Slot Brooch. However i am not familiar with cases, and i was wondering if the case it is in is a indicator of it being pre or post war.

Thanks so much for any help
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is this Air Medal WW2 Era?   Is this Air Medal WW2 Era?  

Is this Air Medal WW2 Era?   Is this Air Medal WW2 Era?  

Is this Air Medal WW2 Era?   Is this Air Medal WW2 Era?  

Is this Air Medal WW2 Era?  

I'd agree the medal appears to date to WW2, but I'm not sure about the box either as I know post war examples came in similar style boxes. Having said that the box shows signs of age. The experts will chime in shortly.

Would need a better close up of the back of the brooch and back of the ribbon bar. The mounting pin has been re soldered to the brooch. It looks “correct” for the period and the box is as well. It is difficult to say when it was manufactured as coffin style case was used until the 1960’s I believe and without any provenance impossible to tell when or if it was ever issued. Due to the massive surplus of awards manufactured during WWII old medals we issued until stocks ran out so well into the Vietnam era and after.

?

The medal itself was produced during WW2 indicated by the slot brooch. That being said, the pin has been re-soldered.

But without provenance It's impossible to say if it was issued during WW2.

Otherwise a nice WW2-era produced Air Medal.

Tobias

I agree with Sensei. It's a WW2 produced Air Medal in its correct presentation case. This style was issued through the Korean war and early stages of the Vietnam war. The one pictured is an Army - Air Force contract. The Marines and Navy had the same planchet but variations in production style and presentation case.

JustMeinKC !

Gerry C