Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

British group in a box

Article about: hello....just want to share a neat group that I just picked up....fantastic price and I could not pass.....I just started venturing into British medals a few years ago, I like the way they l

Quote by BobS View Post
    I just realized that the incorrect rank was engraved for Pettifar; it should be guardsman, not private. The other three medals also have pte. as his rank.
    Surprised that was accepted by him, or was it done later?
    At the time Pte was used by the Army overall. Guardsman (Gdsm) has become more common since and is used on current medals as are titles like RFN (Rifleman), TPR (Trooper), CFN (Craftsman) etc. For Army purposes the rank is PTE just like a CSGT (Colour Sgt) is referred to in extra-regimental documents (payslips etc) as SSGT (Staff Sgt).

Confused? You will be

Regards
    Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

I believe the rank of guardsman was given by King George V just after WWI, to honor the sacrifices of the Foot Guards regiments during the war.
    It certainly was in use prior to WWII.

Quote by BobS View Post
    I believe the rank of guardsman was given by King George V just after WWI, to honor the sacrifices of the Foot Guards regiments during the war.
    It certainly was in use prior to WWII.
    Yes of course and the terms "Rifleman" and "Trooper" were used even earlier. I am referring to admin/clerical nomenclature which would result in the generic term "Private" being used. Error or not is it just as likely that of the soldier himself as the engraver. Then as today you would expect the engraver to engrave what the customer has specified.

However, as these are WWII medals they would not have been originally impressed and were engraved later so the point becomes somewhat moot.

Accepting that "Private purchase" engraving is not unusual on these medals I would be more concerned about the fact that the stars have been plated / coloured silver covering the original brass which in effect reduces them to the level of "curio" rather than original examples of the type.
    Last edited by Watchdog; 02-14-2022 at 10:14 AM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3