Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

British medal set bought at auction - Happy ending

Article about: Hi All, I recently bought the below medal set from a recent militaria auction , the medal set contained a 1939-45 star, Burma star, Africa star and Atlantic star all boxed and named to a Roy

Default British medal set bought at auction - Happy ending

Hi All,
    I recently bought the below medal set from a recent militaria auction , the medal set contained a 1939-45 star, Burma star, Africa star and Atlantic star all boxed and named to a Royal navy reserve LT with his last posting aboard the HMS Penn.

Shortly after the auction I was contacted (through the auction house) by a relative of the medals recipients enquiring if I would be interested in selling the set. After a conversation via email I decided I would sell the medal set back to the family member as I believe I should not restrict the return of family history.

I'm sure this is maybe not considered an unusual event but as a reasonably new collector it is the first time I had heard of anything like this and was hugely satisfying knowing they went "home".

British medal set bought at auction - Happy ending

Kind regards

Kian

Well done and very honourable.

I think there's a member here who goes out of his way to repatriate the medals he buys.

All good stuff....you should feel pleased/proud.

...any nicely photo'd too.....

Thanks Composite,
    The photos were taken from the auction house listing so I cannot take credit for the excellent photography.
    It is such an amazing experience to return the medals back to their rightful owners to be seen and treasured for generations to come.
    kind regards,
    Kian

Well done hfc, I think that was very decent of you to sell them back to the family. Too often medals fall into the hands of some disinterested grandchild who sells them off for the latest iphone, xbox whatever. A 20 years later the next generation wishes they had been kept. I just hope the cycle isn't repeated down the track.

A noble act and great that for now the family want them home again.