Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

British miniature medals

Article about: Good afternoon gents, I have seen a couple of threads concerning this subject but none seemed suitable to add to. Also, whils the pieces I show here are WWI I deliberately left that out of t

Default British miniature medals

Good afternoon gents,

I have seen a couple of threads concerning this subject but none seemed suitable to add to. Also, whils the pieces I show here are WWI I deliberately left that out of the title to encourage members to add minis from other periods. Miniature medals feature prominently in many military forces and especially so in the British.

I post these now as the centenary of the end of the Great War is almost upon us.

Certainly with British miniatures the quality of modern pieces is nothing compared to earlier ones especially the early 20th century.

1. A 1914 - 15 trio (1914 - 15 Star, Britsh War Medal and Victory Medal) in a presentation case.
    As miniatures are usually only worn in Mess Kit they tend not to have been owned by junior ranks (there are exceptions in some regiments) unless for wear at a formal occasion in a dinner suit. So, with this set being marked for a supplier in Glasgow it is not unreasonable to assume this was owned by an officer or senior NCO of a Scottish regiment.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British miniature medals   British miniature medals  

British miniature medals   British miniature medals  

British miniature medals   British miniature medals  

British miniature medals  
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

2. A MC (Military Cross) with Mons Trio (1914 Star aka "Mons Star" with clasp, British War Medal and Victory Medal). The MC means this was for an officer as other ranks would receive the MM (Military Medal) at that time. The Mons Star ties it to a particular period in 1914 so likely a pre-conscription regular and the clasp denotes that the wearer was actually under fire during the period meaning he was immediately on the front line.

British miniature medalsBritish miniature medals

I hope you like these as much as I do and would like to see more if anyone has them.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Superb miniature medals sadly underrated imo . The quality is excellent thanks for showing ,Regards,Paul

Quote by paulscoot View Post
    Superb miniature medals sadly underrated imo . The quality is excellent thanks for showing ,Regards,Paul
    Yes I think the problem is that they are not issued but private purchase items and as such I suppose they are facsimilies. As you say the quality of these period pieces is superb, far better than anything produced since. By comparison my own miniatures were just something I was obliged to wear in mess kit. I don't know for sure if I even still have them. Maybe I left them as "buckshees" when I retired!

Regards

Mark

William Jock Whitworth
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British miniature medals  
    Attached Images Attached Images British miniature medals  British miniature medals  British miniature medals  British miniature medals 

Superb quality Very nice, Regards Paul

Quote by Jumpmaster View Post
    William Jock Whitworth
    Very nice group to have

Is it yours and do you have provenance to go with it?

Regards

Mark