Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

British Navy GSM abbreviation

Article about: Hello everyone recently I saw on a Naval General Service Medal the abbreviation N.A.I.M (A) R.N. I understand that RN comes from Royal Navy but what means NAIM(A)? Is it a rank, a function?

Default British Navy GSM abbreviation

Hello everyone
    recently I saw on a Naval General Service Medal the abbreviation N.A.I.M (A) R.N. I understand that RN comes from Royal Navy but what means NAIM(A)? Is it a rank, a function?
    Thank you
    All the best
    S. Botan

a picture of the rim engraving
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Navy GSM abbreviation  

I think it is Naval Airman Instrument Mechanic ( Airframe ) .
    Regards .

This is the medal I have recently acquired. How could I be able to find a little something about its owner - E.V. OSBORNE?
    Thank you
    Sever
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Navy GSM abbreviation   British Navy GSM abbreviation  

Look for his medal index card on ancestry or national archives
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Hi Server,

This will not be that easy I think.

As you know this is the Royal Naval GSM 1915 but it is the Queen Elizabeth II version (1st type with Tudor crown) therefore it is not a WWI medal which means there will be no Medal Index Card either. Also this version was awarded from 1953/4 to 1962 (replaced by the GSM 1962 awarded to all services) which makes it possible that the recipient is still alive and certainly his immediate family which complicates the confidentiality issue somewhat.

The 'Malaya' clasp gives the best clue and relates to the "Malaya Emergency" of 1948-60.

There were quite a lot of naval units involved including some shore based units in Singapore.

However Ancestry has a recipient of this medal; Eric Victor OSBORNE POAF (PO will be Petty Officer and AF I expect is something like Airframe Fitter?) with the service number 882308 P/KX serving in HMS Albion Pennant number RO7 an aircraft carrier deployed to the Malayan Emergency.

So, if that service number matches I think this may be your man.

Other wise you will probably have to search "open source" material as official sources will not disclose much if anything about relatively recent awards.

You may get further advice here;

Attention Required! | Cloudflare

By the way, in the Royal Navy when a ship is decommissioned the name tends usually to be carried by a new ship. The current (9th) HMS Albion (L14), sister ship to HMS Bulwark (L15) is also a type of aircraft carrier known as a "Landing Dock Platform" aka Amphibious Assault Ship in other navies around the world which carries helicopters and landing craft.

I hope this helps and let us know how you get on with this interesting medal.

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 05-09-2024 at 01:20 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."