Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Congress Medal of Honor

Article about: Hi friends, a friend of mine bought a huge awesome collection of medals and between them this Medal of Honor...He asks me info about its authenticity. Thanks in advance

Default Congress Medal of Honor

Hi friends, a friend of mine bought a huge awesome collection of medals and between them this Medal of Honor...He asks me info about its authenticity. Thanks in advance

Congress Medal of HonorCongress Medal of HonorCongress Medal of HonorCongress Medal of HonorCongress Medal of Honor

I not an expert but I don’t like the way the two pieces don’t have the same patina. And the wreath looks too close to the hanging bar.

The Medal of Honor should always raise giant red flags because 1) not a common award 2) it is illegal to sell, buy, or reproduce the MOH in the USA and 3) this is not an award that just causally gets passed around.
    But they are reproduced overseas so most that are found are not authentic.

I've only ever seen these in museums. The above are all very good points regarding its authenticity. I doubt very many collectors have had in-hand experience with these

I can tell you that it is an Army MOH

Thanks for your replies. I have a question, were all of them named on the backside?

The pictures are a little fuzzy to tell without holding in hand. I tend to think these are not official issue. The difference in tone from the suspension to the badge doesn’t concern me; 2 different materials I suspect. I’ve seen legit Army versions with same condition.
    The detail looks flat on the lettering in the reverse of the suspension. I can’t really get a feel for the obverse detail and enamel in this picture but I’ve seen copies or fakes with similar enamel toning. This lighter green tone can be seen on the 1904 Gillespie versions as well as later WW2 versions. I would not expect to see it in the VN to present era pieces.
    Yes there are those out there unnamed. They may be legit but are considered stolen by the government generally. Those familiar know the Lordship back door scheme in the past.

Congress Medal of HonorCongress Medal of HonorFound this photograph for reference to compare. This is a known good one from a museum display, 1970s/80s. You can see the different toning on the reverse and the deep green enamel color.

The medal in post #1 has poor detailing for such a high award and is a copy.

Cheers,
    Steve

I agree with Steve..

This is a Chinese Copy..

With this being said, there are MOHs that are stamped "FOR EXHIBITION ONLY" as Jumpmaster has provided images of and in some cases US Army Musuems will use the "exhibition only" MOHs for display's. The US Army Musuem system does have several original named Medal's of Honor which are dispersed throughout the Army Musuem Enterprise, the National Infantry Musuem have some, the West Point Musuem, and others. Sadly the original Medal of Honor that was in the 1st Armored Division Musuem when it was in Germany was stolen in the 80's and we now have a replacement medal like the one that Jumpmaster posted. Since the theft of the 1AD MOH, the museums have taken better security measures and precautions to safeguard the medals. The Army museum system has MOHs from the Civil War to the present day operations.

Best regards, stay safe, Happy New Year

Smitty

Awesome, many thanks.