Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Family grouping

Article about: didn't quite know where to post this since it's a mix....this group of items hung framed in my great-grandmothers house in Kansas, I remember looking at it as a kid in the early 70's....she

Default Family grouping

didn't quite know where to post this since it's a mix....this group of items hung framed in my great-grandmothers house in Kansas, I remember looking at it as a kid in the early 70's....she died in the 70's at the age of 96 and the items eventually made their way to me...

her father was in the civil war(Union), her husband in WW1 and both of her sons fought in WW2 and it is a mix of possessions from all of them....just thought I would share pictures of the group before I tuck them away on display...the original frame is long gone

includes
    * GAR ribbon - I have the unit info somewhere but can't find my notes
    * WW1 Victory Medal & Victory Medal buttonhole device
    * 53 Infantry regiment collar discs - screwback and period - (6th Infantry Division)
    * WW2 sterling CIB
    * quite faded ribbon bar with period attachment device
    * same ribbons but in better condition and one medal, the other two are missing
    * allegedly, the casing of last bullet that one of my great uncles fired in ww2 - to be taken with a grain of salt * 30.06 M1 Garand

Family grouping
    Family grouping

found my notes...
    Civil War vet * Hugh Bell Pvt "K" Company 45th Iowa Infantry( a 100 day man)
    WW1 * David James * 53 IR / 6ID
    WW2 * Sgt Ralph James * not sure on the unit but he earned that campaign star in the Aleutians
    Last edited by KatManDude; 05-01-2022 at 06:21 PM. Reason: added info

That will make an interesting shadow box to capture the history of each of the veterans..

Well done

Smitty

Very neat family group you got there. The 30-‘06 case is a blank. No telling how it got there perhaps a souvenir from training or a rifle salute.