Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Father-in-law's medals WWII

Article about: My father-in-law served with the 113th Seabee Battalion, Detachment "B" as a heavy equipment operator, in and around New Guinea from 5 August 1943 t0 2 September 1945. He was one o

Default Father-in-law's medals WWII

My father-in-law served with the 113th Seabee Battalion, Detachment "B" as a heavy equipment operator, in and around New Guinea from 5 August 1943 t0 2 September 1945. He was one of 96 survivors of a Kamikaze attack that sent LST 472 to the bottom of Mangarin Bay on 17 November 1944. two sailors were killed, five wounded and three were MIA.

I came across these medals and patches of his a few days ago, stored in a period candy box.

He was a character, an eternal optimist and always had a new joke to elicit a belly laugh.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Father-in-law's medals WWII   Father-in-law's medals WWII  

Father-in-law's medals WWII  

CBH
    ?

Nice Seabees patch, always great to have family items in a collection.

Terrific find, I know that had to be a wonderful surprise!!!!
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

?

Great stuff even better its family

Great find of family history. Thank you for sharing.
    John

A wonderful grouping...

The bonus is the Philippine Made medals.

Thank you for sharing..

Best regards, stay safe

Smitty

Look after them. I've just finished reading a Pacific war book and came away with a new respect for the Seabee guys. They did tremendous work building almost instant infrastructure, airfields etc often while the island was still partly held by the Japanese.

MAP
    ?

Quote by Anderson View Post
    .....They did tremendous work building almost instant infrastructure, airfields etc often while the island was still partly held by the Japanese.
    They also were very enterprising....making fake war souvenirs. LoL

Nocogdochian: Great items. I don't often see these Philippine defense and liberation awards. And in pristine condition too!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)