Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Found this medal in my great uncles Purple Heart box. What is it?

Article about: I found this medal in my great-uncle's Purple Heart box. He died in Normandy, and I recently inherited his possessions through another family member. The items I was given are his ribbon bar

?

Default Found this medal in my great uncles Purple Heart box. What is it?

I found this medal in my great-uncle's Purple Heart box. He died in Normandy, and I recently inherited his possessions through another family member. The items I was given are his ribbon bar, his bible, and this medal. I would appreciate it if someone could help me identify this medal and how it was earned. Thank you.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Found this medal in my great uncles Purple Heart box. What is it?   Found this medal in my great uncles Purple Heart box. What is it?  

I don't believe it is a military award or merit. Could be a Masonic Fraternity award?

?

Mordecai is correct that it is not a military medal. It is a Knights Templar Order of Malta jewel. It seems to be a membership medal for members of the Order of the Knights of Malta.

?

Thanks for the info. If you don’t mind me asking what is the Order of the Knights of Malta?

MAP
    ?

Quote by Jaws View Post
    Thanks for the info. If you don’t mind me asking what is the Order of the Knights of Malta?
    Sovereign Military Order of Malta - Wikipedia
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Thank you.

?

Just to confirm: this is *not* a jewel of the Sovereign Military Order of Malta (a Roman Catholic lay religious order), but of the US branch of the (masonic) Knights of Malta, an appendant masonic order of the (masonic) Knights Templar in the USA. I'm not American, but it appears to be a membership breast jewel of that order (see, eg, Knights Templar Order of Malta Jewel - Dozen).