Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Help! Medallion identification

Article about: Hello, I have a medal here that I need some help identifying. It looks Boer War period, but I couldn’t be sure. The medal reads ‘South African & Active Service Association’. There

Default Help! Medallion identification

Hello,
    I have a medal here that I need some help identifying. It looks Boer War period, but I couldn’t be sure. The medal reads ‘South African & Active Service Association’. There appears to be three soldiers in the middle. One on horseback, one with a sword/ bayonet, and one with a rifle.

Any help would be much appreciated, as I am very unsure on what this is. I don’t even know where it’s from!

Thanks again.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help! Medallion identification   Help! Medallion identification  

Not seen this one before but you are correct that it records Australian soldiers who served alongside the British in the Boer War in South Africa. Is it marked on the back?

Hello VX95903,

Many thanks for your post I will admit from the outset that this is not my area of interest, but I have found the following Badges on the internet, just a point the figure on the right seems to be wearing a Naval uniform.

1924 Association Medal

1928 Association Medal

1929 to 1931 Association Medals

I could not find any further information on the Association itself, hopefully one of the other Forum members with knowledge on this area of interest will be able to be of further assistance to you.

Best wishes

Andrzej

Hi Blackcat, it doesn’t have any marks or identifications at all on the back or rim of the medal. It remains a mystery. I might take it into some military dealers and see what they have to say about it.

I have taken it to my local military dealers and shown them the medallion. One of them suggested that it was a prototype, and they made this one and then transitioned to the ones that andrzejku has kindly posted images of. He said that it appears unfinished and double struck, and this could explain why.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks