Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

HELP with WW2 ribbons and IKE jacket

Article about: hello gentlemen, I found this IKE jacket with a collector. I would like your opinion. I found the tapes strange or rather the tape supports that are of a post-war model. And I also don't kno

?

Default HELP with WW2 ribbons and IKE jacket

hello gentlemen,

I found this IKE jacket with a collector. I would like your opinion.

I found the tapes strange or rather the tape supports that are of a post-war model.

And I also don't know if PUC is from the 2nd war period either. It is marked "S-26 GI".
    If I'm not mistaken, the manufacturer's markings on the tapes started post-war. I don't know much about these tags. If anyone can enlighten me on the matter, that would be great.

Thank you!

HELP with WW2 ribbons and IKE jacketHELP with WW2 ribbons and IKE jacketHELP with WW2 ribbons and IKE jacketHELP with WW2 ribbons and IKE jacketHELP with WW2 ribbons and IKE jacketHELP with WW2 ribbons and IKE jacketHELP with WW2 ribbons and IKE jacketHELP with WW2 ribbons and IKE jacket

Looks to me period ribbons were put on a modern ribbon bar. I can’t speak on the PUC but I don’t think it’s WWII period.

I agree 100% with 08SMLE48,

These are WW2 era ribbons that were pushed onto a current era metal ribbon bar. These ribbons were most likely pulled from their original pinbacks which caused the rips and overall sloppiness of the ribbons when placed on the ribbon bar. The telltale sign of this being a post war bar is the 3 place clutch back attachment system which was used to prevent drooping of the ribbons on the dress jacket. The PUC (Blue Presidential Unit Citation) is also post war, as indicated by the hallmark on the back.

The rest of the Ike jacket looks to be alright in regards to the cloth insignia. I think someone just added a post war ribbon bar, and possibly the Marksmanship badges, and Combat Infantryman's badge. You can also see where there were some other collar brass on the lower part of the lapels. At one point 2 sets of collar brass were worn on US uniforms but that was a short lived uniform policy.

You will have to look at the backings of these decorations as well to see if they are post war. It also looks like some Distinctive Unit Insignia are on the shoulders. Would like to see what they are.

It does appear that this uniform was "enhanced" with additional items, most likely in order to sell..

Smitty

Below is an excellent website regarding the dating of clutch backs. Regards Paul.
    Dating Metallic Insignia: Clutch Fasteners

?

Quote by paulscoot View Post
    Below is an excellent website regarding the dating of clutch backs. Regards Paul.
    Dating Metallic Insignia: Clutch Fasteners
    Hello Paul,

thanks a lot for the reference! Very useful

?

Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post

These are WW2 era ribbons that were pushed onto a current era metal ribbon bar. These ribbons were most likely pulled from their original pinbacks which caused the rips and overall sloppiness of the ribbons when placed on the ribbon bar. The telltale sign of this being a post war bar is the 3 place clutch back attachment system which was used to prevent drooping of the ribbons on the dress jacket. The PUC (Blue Presidential Unit Citation) is also post war, as indicated by the hallmark on the back.

The rest of the Ike jacket looks to be alright in regards to the cloth insignia. I think someone just added a post war ribbon bar, and possibly the Marksmanship badges, and Combat Infantryman's badge. You can also see where there were some other collar brass on the lower part of the lapels. At one point 2 sets of collar brass were worn on US uniforms but that was a short lived uniform policy.

You will have to look at the backings of these decorations as well to see if they are post war. It also looks like some Distinctive Unit Insignia are on the shoulders. Would like to see what they are.

It does appear that this uniform was "enhanced" with additional items, most likely in order to sell..

Smitty
    Hello Smitty,

Thank you very much for your analysis, I agree with it!
    I think these pieces were added to the jacket for sale, but other colleagues talked about the possibility that the ribbons were placed on a newer support by the veteran so he could wear the uniform at other commemorative moments for example.
    What do you think about this?

I will also send some additional photos. If you want I can take more.

HELP with WW2 ribbons and IKE jacketHELP with WW2 ribbons and IKE jacketHELP with WW2 ribbons and IKE jacketHELP with WW2 ribbons and IKE jacketHELP with WW2 ribbons and IKE jacketHELP with WW2 ribbons and IKE jacket

?

Smitty
    And still on the subject of the manufacturer's marks on the metal part behind the tapes, I have a question: when did these marks start to appear? Just post-war? or already in the 2 war these markings already existed?

Thanks

?

Smitty
    I took the opportunity to take pictures of the other emblems
    HELP with WW2 ribbons and IKE jacketHELP with WW2 ribbons and IKE jacketHELP with WW2 ribbons and IKE jacketHELP with WW2 ribbons and IKE jacket

The unit crest is for the 114th Infantry Regiment which was part of the 44th Infantry Division which is the shoulder patch on the uniform.

The CIB is sterling marked and WW2 era. The one smooth clutch back is also WW2 era, the other is post WW2 but it is not uncommon to lose these and replace them with other clutch back devices.

The Marksman badge with the qualification bars for the various weapons also appears to be WW2 era or very early post war era, 1946ish.. Markings on the backs of these insignia started as early as the 30's an NS Meyer has gone through several different designs and marks which can be identified by the time eras they were used.

Paul has also provide an excellent guide for the clutch backs, But a word of caution.. You have to examine the whole object, as some unscrupulous individuals will use period correct clutch backs and other devices on post war insignia..

Your assessment about a Vet wearing post war items for a reunion is quite possible as well and has been known to occur.

My father served with the 7th Infantry Division in Korea and his original decorations are in a shadow box, so on his Ike Jacket which he can still wear at 88 years old we have a replacement ribbon bar and decorations..

Smitty