Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Khedive Medal

Article about: hello all....I just added this 1882 Khedive medal to my budding collection of British campaign medals, as I have said before I find the British medals quite attractive.... I do have a few qu

Default Khedive Medal

hello all....I just added this 1882 Khedive medal to my budding collection of British campaign medals, as I have said before I find the British medals quite attractive....

I do have a few questions....

1) Someone as apparently tried to clean it(?) and there is a white residue in the recessed areas...I realize I could just google on how to clean bronze but would prefer to hear from others from this forum with more experience...

2) the reverse is stamped with what I assume are initials and a service/roll number.....is my assumption correct and can anyone point me in the right direction to research it....

thanks for your time and input....

some pics

front
    Khedive Medal

back
    Khedive Medal

stamp
    Khedive Medal

residue
    Khedive Medal
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Khedive Medal   Khedive Medal  

Khedive Medal   Khedive Medal  

It should not have been polished. These were intended to have a dull dark brown bronze finish. But sadly the temptation to clean them is great over the years.

I would give this a clean using an old toothbrush with soap and water and the old metal polish residue should come off.

These were not issued named. So this has been done by the soldier himself. Not sure if it would be researchable.

Cheers, Ade.

PS: I really like these medals.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Ade,

Thanks for the info....I will give it a go.....I wonder if "O.K" could be a unit designation.....Regards, David
    "Youth would be an ideal state if it came a little later in life" - Herbert Henry Asqulth

Hi David, nothing springs to mind? These were issued to both the Army and Royal Navy.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Hi , there is a 1258 Oliver King of the 2nd Battalion Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry on the medal roll for the Khedive Star .

The Naming of Khedive's Stars - 2/DCLI

The link above shows naming to the 2nd D.C.L.I.

Regards .Steve.
    Last edited by escosis; 03-16-2022 at 12:37 AM. Reason: More info .

Wow.....thanks for that information.....much appreciated!

Hi Steve, thanks for the info. Appreciated.

Cheers, Ade.

Hi , 1258 Pte. Oliver King 2nd D.C.L.I. is also entitled to the Egypt 1882-1889 Medal with Tel - El - Kebir clasp .

regards Steve.

Hi Yes the Initals & number are as you thought. The star was awarded along with a 2 bar 1882 Egypt medal with the bars Tel-el-Kebir & The Nile 1884-85 to 1258 Private Oliver King 2nd Battalion Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry.
    Hope This is of some help regards David Medal Search.

?

If you haven't already, I would join the British Medals Forum ( it's free) and then ask for help in possibly locating King's Egypt Medal.

BobS