Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Long Service Good Conduct Medal, Crimean War period 15th HUSSARS

Article about: This is a Long Service Good Conduct medal given to; James J. Chapman from Dulwich England. he was born in 1839 according to the WO97 Pensioners British Army service Records 1760-1913. It is

Wow Tom,

This is fantastic information! Thank you for helping research this

I'd like to fine a ribbon to add for display purposes. Is there someone in the UK that makes aftermarket ribbons?

Burt

Quote by milmuseum View Post
    Wow Tom,

This is fantastic information! Thank you for helping research this

I'd like to fine a ribbon to add for display purposes. Is there someone in the UK that makes aftermarket ribbons?

Burt
    Yep, there are quite a lot so shop around but here is one;

Long Service, Meritorious and Good Conduct Medal Ribbons

I am sure you know but for good measure; the ribbon you need for this medal is the pre- 1917 plain crimson. Also, just in case it is useful, this is the 2nd type of 1859 as it seems to have the smaller font on the reverse (the Hanoverian crest was dropped in 1837 and the swiveling scroll suspension was added in 1855). From 1901 the obverse changed to show the coinage head of the reigning monarch.

This award remains extant and as already stated the ribbon changed to the current type with a white stripe on each edge in 1917. In 1920 the suspension became fixed and when in 1930 the title was changed to "The Long Service and Good Conduct Medal (Military)" a fixed bar was added bearing the inscription "REGULAR ARMY" or the name of a dominion. My own bears the image of the current monarch HM Queen Elizabeth II. It is a very precious medal to those who hold it as it represents a great deal of hard work over many years that would otherwise not be visibly represented and speaks volumes by its absence rather than presence.

I hope this is helpful.

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

There is a reason I belong to this website. The replies I have received in this thread alone speak volumes about it's members.

Thanks again for all of your help

Burt

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2