Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Polish soldier with British Empire Medal

Article about: Hello, 1 year ago I bought a brithis empire medal in Poland. I found out that the medal was from a Polish soldier that fought from (1939)1940-1945. I could not find alot about it. Could some

?

Default Polish soldier with British Empire Medal

Hello,
    1 year ago I bought a brithis empire medal in Poland. I found out that the medal was from a Polish soldier that fought from (1939)1940-1945. I could not find alot about it. Could someone help me with finding some information about this medal and the soldier that got him? I know it whas a soldier called Andrzey Antoni Zajdel a Sergeant Major from the 1st Polish Panzerdivision. (10 support line).

Hello Math,

May I be the first to welcome you to the War Relics Forum, you are correct in saying that Starszy Sierzant (Staff Sergeant) Andrzej Zajdel, Army Nr : 4901, Unit : Headquarters Army Service Corps, 1st Polish Armoured Division was awarded the British Empire Medal.

He was awarded it in 1945, the recommendation states the following :

This N.C.O. has set a fine example at all times. Due to his outstanding work many difficulties to the smooth supply of ammunition have been avoided. During the pursuit from S. Seines to Belgium he did particularly good work while at an Advanced ammunition Point in a sector which had not been cleared of the enemy. He showed great coolness and devotion to duty under difficult circumstances.

That is all the information I have been able to find for you, I hope that it is of some use and help to you Math,

Once again welcome to the Forum and it would be nice to see the medal both obverse and reverse and rim.

Best wishes

Andrzej

Hello Math,

I have had another search of the internet today and have found the following information on St. Sierz. Andrzej Antoni Zajdel

Date of Birth : 7th November 1905

Place of Birth : Krosno

Religion : Roman Catholic

Army Number : 4901/2/I / 1905-27-I

Unit : 10th Supply Company

Date of Death : 14th May 1945

Place of Burial : Westerede, Germany

Below is a photograph of the grave he shares with 2 germans

Best wishes

Andrzej

p.s. If I find anything else I will post it

Hello Math,

British Empire Medal (Military Division) is this what yours looks like :

Obverse and Reverse

Best wishes

Andrzej

?

Thank you for all the information,
    I am very happy that I now know more about Andrzej Zajdel.

Hello Math,

Many thanks for your post, it would be nice to view the British Empire Medal awarded to Andrzej Zajdel.

Best wishes

Andrzej

Hello Math,

I just thought that you might like to see what other medals were awarded to St. Sierz. Andrzej Zajdel :

Polish :

Medal Wojska (Army Medal) obverse

British Awards and Medals :

British Empire Medal (Military Division) obverse

1939-1945 Star

France and Germany Star

Defence Medal

1939-1945 War Medal obverse

I sincerely hope that the above helps you identify what you have and what you need to complete his group of medals.

Best wishes

Andrzej

?

Do you have a good adress where I could order a medal wojska? Your advise realy helped me, I have almost everything I need to finish the set. I am also looking for a brithis sergeant major rank. He would have worn that if I am correct. This are some photos you van take a look at.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish soldier with British Empire Medal   Polish soldier with British Empire Medal  

Hello Math,

Many thanks for your reply and the photographs, St.Sierzant Andzrej Zajdel would have worn the appropriate Polish Rank on his epaulettes, he would not have worn the equivalent British ranking.

The Medal Wojska is always for sale on either Allegro or EBay, so there should not be a problem in finding one for the group.

Nice to see that the BEM still has the Royal Mint pin it just needs to be cleaned the medal in .925 Sterling Silver Math, and the ribbon on the 1939-1945 Star is the wrong way round, please compare to the photos I attached in my previous post Nr : 7.

Best wishes

Andrzej

?

Hello Andrzej,
    I saw you posted some foto's with Polish soldiers in a other chat. Do you have any picture of Andrzej Zajdel?
    Best wishes
    Math