Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

purple heart family group

Article about: This arrived today from America, my mother in law sent it to me, it was her uncle who was KIA on PELELIU in WWII. It is still in the original ration carton in which his effects were sent to

MAP
    ?

Jerry.

A touching family grouping. Thanks for showing
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    Wasn't Eugene Sledge one of the main protagonists in the "The Pacific"? I think I will give it a read myself.

Regards

Mark
    Mark,
    I’ve read the book twice and yes it’s Eugene Sledge autobiography. He went on to become Professor Sledge at the university of Montevallo here in Alabama.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Thank you for sharing, nicely presented.
    Regards Caleb

?

Excellent gift I must say. You MIL must like you!!!!

Since Opie was Army . I take it he was with the (Wildcat's) 81st ID?

Semper Fi
    Phil

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    Excellent gift I must say. You MIL must like you!!!!

Since Opie was Army . I take it he was with the (Wildcat's) 81st ID?

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Thanks Phil.

None of the docs actually state what unit he was with. I assumed marines but....
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Hi Jerry, a very special group. I’m assuming you may have already looked for his service info by now.....but just wanted to see if you had seen that the NARA has 2 listings for him (giving his civilian occupation etc as well as listed in the FLA honor roll). His full unit details and more info are also listed on the HonorStates website database. 81 ID 321 IR. Like I said, I’m sure you know by now but wanted to leave this just in case you hadn’t.

Quote by Bill T View Post
    Hi Jerry, a very special group. I’m assuming you may have already looked for his service info by now.....but just wanted to see if you had seen that the NARA has 2 listings for him (giving his civilian occupation etc as well as listed in the FLA honor roll). His full unit details and more info are also listed on the HonorStates website database. 81 ID 321 IR. Like I said, I’m sure you know by now but wanted to leave this just in case you hadn’t.
    Bill, I had not looked, partly because I am not familiar with where to research US servicemen but also I have been busy with work and had to replace my car....

I thank you and if you can share links that would be greatly appreciated.
    Regards,

Jerry

?

Absolutely. Sorry to hear about the car, I’m actually in the process of the same thing this week. Took my vacation to get it sorted.

I’ve left screenshots of what I found and will try to leave the links as well. If they don’t work feel free to pm me. I’ve been focusing on collecting US items recently, so have found some nice databases. I can’t get back to where I found the FLA honor roll list (on NARA site) but i left the screenshot from last night. It’s just his name, rank, and serial tho. The honorstates site gives most detail, unit and awards he would’ve been qualified for etc.

Opie R Nash : Private from Florida, World War II Casualty

NARA - AAD - Display Full Records - Electronic Army Serial Number Merged File, ca. 1938 - 1946 (Enlistment Records)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture purple heart family group   purple heart family group  

purple heart family group  

Thanks Guys
    Regards,

Jerry

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast