Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Queens South Africa medal and WW1 Trio...

Article about: Came across this medal bar this weekend. This is the first QSA medal I've seen in person and I am not familiar with them. These are the only pictures I have. My overall opinion is that it's

kc1
    ?

Some observations
    There is pitting on the QSA either from contact with the star or because its cast
    Thinning of the rim usually indicates renaming or some other adjustment of an original
    The gordon highlanders looks to be to long units were usually abbreviated try and find another example on line to compare
    The rivets on the clasps dont look right
    I cant equate the pension service with the service record. Hes in south africa, then is on the reserve from 03 to 14 when hes mobilised therefore he cant have been a regular during that time hes either in or out. if he has 20 years service 4 of which would have been ww1 service then he must have had 16 years prior to 1903. If he joined aged 20 then did 16 yrs he would have been 36 yrs old in 1903. By 1914 he would have been 47 years old probably to old to have been in the first rush of those recalled to the colours.
    Finally unless you particularly want the Gordons then i would think in the current market the price is way to high.

Although an old thread, I would just comment as under;

1. All of the medals shown in the first post are original official replacements issued in the inter-war years (the QSA roll and Midal Index Card have notes to that effect)

Quick give-aways that the medals are later official replacements are the quality, style and format of the naming. On QSA's, the regiment number i.e., 1st, 2nd etc is not shown on first issue officially impressed QSA medals to the Gordon Highlanders. In th eexample shown here, not only is the style of impressing typical for the inter-war years but the inclusion of the battalion number is included!

British Medals awarded as replacements prior to 194O's years, were not marked or indented to distinguish them as official replacements (unlike the case with official replacements issued since the late 1940's that have been uniformly marked). In this regard it is usually only possible to positively identify a pre 1945 official replacement, by the often differing style of medal suspension, or naming applied at the time of issuing the replacement, and or checkigng the actual medal rolls to see annotated remarks that may confirm that a replacement medal was issued

2. The appearance of the medals as shown in the first post in this thread is per-se nothing unusual - as others have suggested - the medals- all of them - have been cleaned and laquered at some stage. Over time the laquer wears and the exposed metal parts tarnish sometimes creating a mottled appearance.

Laquering of medals is nothing new (or 'wrong') - and the members of the British Royal Family, routinely have their medals cleaned and laquered when they have them refurbsihed / court mounted by Spink of London.

Just here posting in case the medal group ever surfaces again.....

Mark

Hello Leaftree,

I hope you do not mind me posting his Medal Index Card which also has an address in Canada, needs further research from yourself or another Forum member.

MIC Obverse

MIC Reverse (Click on each to open and enlarge in a new window)

I hope that the above helps you

Best wishes

Andrzej

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2