Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

RAF wings

Article about: Hi I would like some opinions on the attached wings. Once source I have looked at say WWII issue. Another states replica. Thanks

?

Default RAF wings

Hi
    I would like some opinions on the attached wings.
    Once source I have looked at say WWII issue.
    Another states replica.
    Thanks

RAF wingsRAF wings

?

Hi Marvin,
    You really need to supply better resolution photos .
    From what I can make out and just a guess due to your crappy photos , It's Indian made , either late war or post war .
    Without better close up photos its really impossible to say really ,
    Cheers Rick

?

Well Rick, if I had it in hand, I may be able to send museum quality closeups. Just working with what is available to me.
    By the way what would you be looking for in better closeups?
    Never the less thanks for your opinion.

?

Well Marvin,
    If I could see it more clearly close up all over front & back I could give you a definitive answer.
    That doesn't require "Museum Quality" close ups , just a normal photo with any camera or phone these days will do
    No need to be a smart arse , you obviously don't have it and looking to buy it or sell it posting internet copy and paste images looking for authentication .
    Never the less thanks for showing.
    Cheers Rick

Hopefully this can be of some help. An original pilot's brevet attached to my RAF squadron leader's tunic.

RAF wings

Regards, B.B.

?

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    Hopefully this can be of some help. An original pilot's brevet attached to my RAF squadron leader's tunic.

RAF wings

Regards, B.B.
    Thanks mate ,
    But we are talking Indian made RAF wings , so it's not relevant to the topic
    Very Nice though .
    Cheers Rick

Quote by Rick W View Post
    Thanks mate ,
    But we are talking Indian made RAF wings , so it's not relevant to the topic
    Very Nice though .
    Cheers Rick
    My mistake! You'd typically associate Indian-made stuff with inferior quality, but in this case the difference in quality isn't all that noticeable. The giveaway is the stitchwork on the reverse, I'm guessing?

Regards, B.B.

?

Rick
    Yes I was kinda being a smart ass but words like " due to your crappy photos" sort of set off ones nerves.
    I have not searched this form yet. It would help if you could explain what you would be looking for to tell if a set of wings are of the right time period.
    The best that I can tell from books and a few tunics that I have is that RAF brevets have a little larger and looseness quality to the thread for the wreath and RAF portion of the wings. I still have a hard time determining wing stitching. It seems to go from very fine detail to almost like there is no definition and on the back, the reproductions use small blocks of material to try and give dimension. So I am not even sure what to look for from the back side.
    IMO I see reproductions using smaller thread and tighter stich. Books that I own have not gone into any detail on construction of RAF or USAAF wings for that matter. Unlike material written on Luftwaffe items.
    Regards
    Marvin

MAP
    ?

Gents - Lets keep the discussion to the item being posted.

Thanks!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)