Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Royal Engineers Great War Medal Pair

Article about: Hello folks. Having recently discovered the joy of collecting Great War medals, I've gone just a little bit mad. I've made the impromptu decision to specialize in collecting medals pertainin

Default Royal Engineers Great War Medal Pair

Hello folks.

Having recently discovered the joy of collecting Great War medals, I've gone just a little bit mad. I've made the impromptu decision to specialize in collecting medals pertaining to the Royal Engineers, for no reason other than it being the first regiment I happened to purchase. I now own several individual medals, and this pairing. All purchased from eBay, where they seem to be valued more for their scrap silver content than their historical value.

These two medals were awarded to Pioneer H. Wild, 104369, of the Royal Engineers. Clearly, they were well loved by their recipient. They show signs of heavy polishing, and very little of the patina commonly seen on the War Medal. The patina alone is enough reason to collect these medals for me. Each one has its own character, and is unique from the next medal of the same type.

I foresee a great many more of these turning up on my doorstep in the years ahead, and have bought an album to store them in. Great War medals aren't dirt cheap, but they're certainly easier on the wallet than WWII German ones!

Regards, B.B.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Royal Engineers Great War Medal Pair   Royal Engineers Great War Medal Pair  

Royal Engineers Great War Medal Pair   Royal Engineers Great War Medal Pair  

Nice medals the rank of Pioneer is interesting as most are marked Sapper but Sappers were Royal Engineers who were qualified in a trade whereas Pioneers were untrained in a trade (or in training and had not yet been upgraded to Sapper).

?

I agree these medals seam to be greatly undervalued for what they represent a 100yo piece of history,these can be picked up on ebay from 30 to 40 pound in most cases it seams if the recipient was kia the price rises dramatically, definately a great starting point for any collector of ww1 militaria i to had a phase of buying these think i have 6 or 7 sets i purchased from ebay in a 2 week period.

Quote by BRIOLF View Post
    I agree these medals seam to be greatly undervalued for what they represent a 100yo piece of history,these can be picked up on ebay from 30 to 40 pound in most cases it seams if the recipient was kia the price rises dramatically, definately a great starting point for any collector of ww1 militaria i to had a phase of buying these think i have 6 or 7 sets i purchased from ebay in a 2 week period.
    It amazes me that even after all these years, and their current status as antiques, WW1 War Medals are still routinely sold as scrap silver and melted down. KIA medals do indeed seem to sell for much larger amounts, especially when the 'death penny' plaque is included with the set. Those alone seem to sell for much higher prices than the medals.

B.B.

BB

Would you like me to have a look at Ancestry for your man ?

RB

Quote by Richie B View Post
    BB

Would you like me to have a look at Ancestry for your man ?

RB
    That would be very much appreciated!

B.B.

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    That would be very much appreciated!

B.B.
    I'm on it

Herbert Wild
    22 Sykes St Barnsley
    Haulageman
    Single Age 21
    NoK Mary Ann Wild [Mother]
    Enlisted 15 June 1915 Barnsley
    228th [Field] Company Royal Engineers
    Lance Corporal 17 December 1915
    France 2 May 1916
    25 February 1918 re-mustered as Sapper Fitter
    Demobilised 9 February 1919
    228th [Field] Company was part of the 41st Division
    41st Division – The Long, Long Trail

Quote by Richie B View Post
    Herbert Wild
    22 Sykes St Barnsley
    Haulageman
    Single Age 21
    NoK Mary Ann Wild [Mother]
    Enlisted 15 June 1915 Barnsley
    228th [Field] Company Royal Engineers
    Lance Corporal 17 December 1915
    France 2 May 1916
    25 February 1918 re-mustered as Sapper Fitter
    Demobilised 9 February 1919
    228th [Field] Company was part of the 41st Division
    41st Division – The Long, Long Trail
    I appreciate the help. Every Great War medal being named really hammers home the scale of the conflict, as well as the human tragedy of it. I look forward to building a collage as I did with my chain of German feldpost letters. I do have one other War Medal that isn't Royal Engineers related, and another R.E. Victory Medal. Will post them on the forum at a later date. Thank you again for the help!

B.B.