Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Should I buy this UK medal grouping?

Article about: This medal grouping has been offered to me on Facebook Marketplace for \\$130 USD. Should i purchase this or does the medals and engravings not look authentic. Thanks so much for any help.

Default Should I buy this UK medal grouping?

This medal grouping has been offered to me on Facebook Marketplace for $130 USD. Should i purchase this or does the medals and engravings not look authentic.

Thanks so much for any help.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Should I buy this UK medal grouping?   Should I buy this UK medal grouping?  

Should I buy this UK medal grouping?   Should I buy this UK medal grouping?  

Should I buy this UK medal grouping?   Should I buy this UK medal grouping?  

Should I buy this UK medal grouping?  

They are not UK medals, the UK did not name their medals during WW11 - with the exception of gallantry awards. These are South African issue, and were unique in that they were officially named. They look OK and are worth the asking price.

Cheers,
    Steve

Price is about right for a group like this, very nice.

Steve is correct these are South African (part of the Commonwealth Forces at the time) WWII medals.

The Defence Medal (3rd from right) and War Medal 1939-45 (2nd from right) are officially impressed (not engraved) as is the Africa Service Medal (South African Forces only) That has an additional element of a prefix to the service number to indicate the corps eg N-Native, C- Cape, M- Indian etc. If there is no such prefix the medal is to a white soldier (Yep, I know!).

I am not sure about the engraving on the three stars (1939-45, Africa and Italy) which I think is probably privately done but if it matches the details on the other medals it isn't a problem as they are authentic and even if the engraving is quite modern it is still quite likely to have been done by the recipient.

If the group fits your collecting interests then as Steve said, the price is OK.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."