Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Is there any chance this Prisoners of War medal was awarded to a WW2 vet?

Article about: I know these were only introduced in the 80's and were backdated to WW1. I have a WW2 USA collection and was wondering if it is appropriate to include this particular medal in the collection

Default Is there any chance this Prisoners of War medal was awarded to a WW2 vet?

I know these were only introduced in the 80's and were backdated to WW1. I have a WW2 USA collection and was wondering if it is appropriate to include this particular medal in the collection. Im guessing the majority would have gone to soldiers involved in WW2 given how much larger it was than Vietnam,Korea etc.

Would love some thoughts and advice, cheers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is there any chance this Prisoners of War medal was awarded to a WW2 vet?   Is there any chance this Prisoners of War medal was awarded to a WW2 vet?  

Kuztics,

Yes, they would have been awarded for WWII service. They were also issued for Korean and Vietnam service. I've had some that were officially named and engraved by government. And I've had some that were privately engraved by the recipient. Although the majority I've seen have been blank. Hope this answers your question.

JustMeinKC!

Gerry

?

Although the medal itself is post-war, it would certainly make a nice addition to a Second World War collection; as a small tribute to all those who endured the frustration and humiliation of life as a PoW.
    I think it would be very fitting.

Thank you that is a very thoughtful reply