Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

unidentified medal ribbons from British house clearance

Article about: hi, can anyone identify the medal ribbons shown on the attached photo? They are from the estate of a person who was a marine Royal Artillery gunner on DEMS ships. (I may have them upside dow

Default unidentified medal ribbons from British house clearance

hi, can anyone identify the medal ribbons shown on the attached photo? They are from the estate of a person who was a marine Royal Artillery gunner on DEMS ships. (I may have them upside down depending on what order they should be worn)

many thanks, dave
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture unidentified medal ribbons from British house clearance  

?

My guess is French

Left (Cross of Civic Service ) Right ( French Croix de Guerre 1914-1918 x3 stars)

I believe they're actually Italian (though I could be wrong). The red and green ribbon looks like the Medaglia commemorativa del periodo bellico 1940-43 (https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medagl...ellico_1940-43), with the starts indicating 3 years of campaign.

The ribbon looks wrong for the Croix de Guerre(right ribbon). It has too many stripes, and they're too wide.
    unidentified medal ribbons from British house clearance unidentified medal ribbons from British house clearance

I'm not sure about the other ribbon.

The most similar medal I can find for the left ribbon is medaglia commemorativa delle campagne di Libia (https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medagl...pagne_di_Libia), or the very similar medaglia commemorativa della guerra italo-turca 1911-1912 (https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medagl...urca_1911-1912).

The one for Libya seems more likely as it looks like it was awarded until 1931 using different bars.

thank you for the various suggestions. I too at first thought Croix de Guerre but there are too many red stripes. The Italian/Lybian suggestions could be the answer as he was awarded the Italy Star and probably picked it up on his 'travels'. I'll start searching that line of thought.

many thanks, Dave

thank you guys, you had the right answers - one is the Italian 'Libyan colonisation' period medal awarded following the war between Italy & Turkey to those involved in the campaign in Libya between 1912 & 1943 (red & blue stripes). The other is basically the war medal for those serving between 1940 & 1943, the number of stars denoting the number of years of service. How good is that? It just goes to show that no matter how much you think you know, there's loads of people who know a whole lot more!!

many thanks again, Dave