Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

United States Distinguished service cross

Article about: Hi folks, A while back i was pleased to add this Distinguished Service Cross to my US medal collection. I believe this one to be of 1944 manufacture by the Robbins Company of Massachusetts d

Default United States Distinguished service cross

Hi folks, A while back i was pleased to add this Distinguished Service Cross to my US medal collection. I believe this one to be of 1944 manufacture by the Robbins Company of Massachusetts due to the black anodised brooch pin. Regards Paul

?

Very nice mate,
    Thanks for sharing.
    Cheers Rick

2nd only to the congressional medal of honor!

Paul,

Very nice DSC.. Am I seeing the shadow of an oak leaf cluster that was once one the front? It looks like it would have been a large "squashed bug" or "thumbnail" type cluster. The back side of the ribbon drape looks to have a puncture hole, or am I just seeing things?

Smitty

MAP
    ?

Very nice example. To me, it is a beautiful design.

And think Smitty is correct.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thumbs up

I see what you mean so I've just had a close look through an eyeglass, Although there appears to be a shadow of sorts on the front of the ribbon, I see no hole. On the back of the ribbon you are right there is a hole, Very strange. Thanks for your interest guys

Paul,

The ribbon could have possibly been reversed and that at one time the back ribbon with the hole was facing to the front.. In many cases when devices were attached to the ribbon the person only pierced one side of the ribbon as it was thick and the prongs on devices are very thin and have a tendency to break. Just an observation..

I think I have your medals brother.. Same type..

Smitty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture United States Distinguished service cross   United States Distinguished service cross  

Lovely cased set Smitty, Good call on the ribbon,hadn't thought of that, Regards, Paul

This looks really nice. Only comment is that the ribbon seems to be a little more worn than the planchette.

Didn’t the Robbins DSCs come in the blue cardboard box? Was it put in the coffin style paded box fir presentation?

Medalcollector,

Very good, you are correct that the Robbins MFG DSCs did come in the smaller blue cardboard boxes, and yes in many instances the black coffin box was used in lieu of the small blues box for presentations, especially for America's second highest award. It was more appropriate to present and in some cases photograph the recipient holding the coffin case rather than the smaller blue box..

Smitty