Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

US Air Medal

Article about: This will be my first US medal. Just wanted to make sure it's correct! Thanks in advance.

Tobias,

This is a post WW2 medal. It is complete with the lapel pin and ribbon and I agree that this is from the 80s. The bonus is the outer cardboard shipping box. In many instances this outer box is discarded prior to the decoration being awarded. In some instances though this outer cardboard box is used to ship the medal to the Soldier after they departed the unit or was sent to next of kin..

The large blue award cases today have a smooth face and this appears to be one of those. The blue presentation cases from the Vietnam era to the early and late 70's have a more rough textured pebbled finish to the cases. You will be able to see this texture once your medal arrives and confirm if it is a smooth face finish or pebbled...

Smitty

?

This is a WWII issuied air medal
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US Air Medal   US Air Medal  

US Air Medal  

Another tell with recent US medals is that they appear to be coated with an antique finish laquer to make them appear darker in the detail, as said a recent issue type and if your happy with that fair enough but if you bought it as genuine ww2 issue I would ask for my money back.Regards Paul

?

Yes, i asked the seller if i could exchange it for something else and he agreed. A really nice medal but unfortunatley not WW2 era. So i got some photos and a medic armband coming instead.

Thank you all for your comments.

Happy easter!
    Last edited by Sensei; 04-13-2020 at 02:59 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2