Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

US Army Commendation Medal with Oak Leaf Cluster

Article about: Another one checked off my list. Thanks to Brig for parting with this great example. A US Army Commendation Medal (ARCOM) with Oakleaf Cluster (squashed bug style?) with a unique Slot Brooch

MAP
    ?

Default US Army Commendation Medal with Oak Leaf Cluster

Another one checked off my list. Thanks to Brig for parting with this great example.

A US Army Commendation Medal (ARCOM) with Oakleaf Cluster (squashed bug style?) with a unique Slot Brooch / Crimp set up.

Originally, this award was instituted in 1945 and only as a ribbon. And in 1950 the medal was instituted. It was eligible to junior soldiers for acts of achievement or meritorious service, other than in combat.

"Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I saw you mentioned squashed bug style. Is there any information about different oak leaf clusters as a way to help date a medal with one? I am trying to stock up on some Korea to early Vietnam medals. I was actually looking up differences in devices by manufacturer and ran acrossed this post.

MAP
    ?

Quote by soalebm View Post
    I saw you mentioned squashed bug style. Is there any information about different oak leaf clusters as a way to help date a medal with one? I am trying to stock up on some Korea to early Vietnam medals. I was actually looking up differences in devices by manufacturer and ran acrossed this post.
    The best people I know of to answer this would be Rakkasan187 (Smitty) or Brig. I'm still learning this stuff.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I am just starting to gather vietnam stuff. I always bought anything vietnam since I was a kid but always just got it from garage sales and auctions now I'm trying to grab it online so I have been studying all the hallmark codes. I can't believe how things have changed in the vietnam market. I was just sitting here looking through boxes of m1956 field gear I bought for $3 and $4 back in the good ole days when nobody wanted it.

MAP
    ?

I am just starting to gather vietnam stuff. I always bought anything vietnam since I was a kid but always just got it from garage sales and auctions now I'm trying to grab it online so I have been studying all the hallmark codes. I can't believe how things have changed in the vietnam market. I was just sitting here looking through boxes of m1956 field gear I bought for $3 and $4 back in the good ole days when nobody wanted it.
    ROFL....Vietnam is definitely collectable now. I remember those days as well. I bought this mid 60's helmet back in the late 70's as a kid. Maybe $10 at an army/navy store. Not anymore.

Wow what a great photograph that is very well done! What is the markings on the mag??

MAP
    ?

Wow what a great photograph that is very well done! What is the markings on the mag??
    Hard to read. But I think the base plate says

Colt AR15 (preceeded by Colt symbol)
    Cal 5.56mm
    Colts PT F.A. M.F.G Co INC
    HARTFORTD CONN USA

It has the UI (HC when turned sideways on the front of the magazine). So a Govt issue if I remember correctly

UI is Universal Industry and CH is Colt Hartford.

No idea what era. Had since a kid

All I know is that they started marking them 5.56 instead of .223 in 1969. I just know a few basic things to look for at gun shows like bright follower 20-rd and the green 30-rd followers always bring more but most times they are tossed in together with everything else. I think yours is 69 to 71 with the dull follower.

Thanks for the explanation of the UI/HC on the M16 magazines. I had wondered what that stamping meant. It's a useful coincidence that UI turned sideways is HC, so both companies can use the same stamp.

I notice that no name is engraved on the back of the ARCOM. Is that common?

@ Richard,

It was very common for medals not be engraved, especially the lower classed awards for meritorious service and commendable service..

However with that said there were also many of these decorations engraved privately by the recipient as well as certain circumstances where a unit would have had them engraved for a Soldier who may have been Killed in Action. Not uncommon to see these medals with either option..

There are quite a few shops that set up outside of military bases and they specialize in making unit coins, guidons for commanders and they will engrave medals as well.. Although these are not official engravings some Soldier's want to have an accounting of what they did in the service and many like to pass them down to family members.

There is an excellent medal book out there called "The Call of Duty" Military Awards and Decorations of the United States of America by LTC John E. Strandberg and Roger James Bender. This is one of the go to books for anyone interested in US medals. It does show some examples of engravings on the medals.

Another must have book for US medal collectors interested in WW2 Posthumous Purple Heart medals is "Sacrifice Remembered" Posthumous Awards of the Purple Heart Medal In The Second World War" by David A. Schwind.

The Army Commendation Medal for example was awarded for Meritorious Service in situations "other than combat" during WW2. In Vietnam this award was also given a little higher statute and those individuals who showed exemplary courage under fire in combat were awarded this decoration with a "V" device for Valor. This would have been awarded when a Bronze Star Medal would not have met certain criteria. The award of ARCOMs (Army Commendation Medal) with "V" devices has also carried forward to today's operations in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Best regards

Smitty
    Last edited by Rakkasan187; 02-24-2021 at 02:20 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast