Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

US Good conduct medal WW2 issue?

Article about: Hello, i recently found this US medal for sale. I thought it would fit perfect with my US uniform that arrives soon. My question is: Is it a WW2 issue or post WW2? Thanks alot in advance!

Tobias,

Your medal is WW2 era, there is no doubt about it..

Now I will also add this caveat.. There was plenty of overstock from the end of WW2 on numerous medals which would have been issued during the Korean Conflict and well into Vietnam and later. Purple Hearts for example that were MANUFACTURED (Key word here) during WW2 were being awarded as late as Vietnam. During WW2 it was anticipated that the US would have to invade Japan and that it was estimated that US forces would suffer 1 million casualties, so large stocks of Purple Heart Medals (as an example) were produced and stored. These were not used with the dropping of the A-bombs and Japan's surrender so they sat in storage until Korea, Vietnam and I have even heard that some WW2 era Purple Hearts were awarded during Operation Urgent Fury 1983 (Grenada) Just Cause 1989 (Panama) and Desert Storm (Gulf War 1) 1991.

I will give on last example of being issued overstock medals from previous eras.. I was stationed in Berlin in the 1980s. Berlin was occupied by the Americans, British, French and Russians. From July 4, 1945 to October 1990. The Army of Occupation Medal was established in 1946, instituted in 1947 and was issued to Soldiers after serving 30 consecutive days of duty in Occupied Germany (or Japan) or any other occupied territory..

The Occupation Medal I was awarded was from the 1950's, boxed in a Blue small carboard box similar to your Good Conduct Medal. The Government made so many to be issued between Germany and Japan that even 30 years later in the 80's they were issuing out medals made in the 50s...

Smitty

?

Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post
    Tobias,

Your medal is WW2 era, there is no doubt about it..

Now I will also add this caveat.. There was plenty of overstock from the end of WW2 on numerous medals which would have been issued during the Korean Conflict and well into Vietnam and later. Purple Hearts for example that were MANUFACTURED (Key word here) during WW2 were being awarded as late as Vietnam. During WW2 it was anticipated that the US would have to invade Japan and that it was estimated that US forces would suffer 1 million casualties, so large stocks of Purple Heart Medals (as an example) were produced and stored. These were not used with the dropping of the A-bombs and Japan's surrender so they sat in storage until Korea, Vietnam and I have even heard that some WW2 era Purple Hearts were awarded during Operation Urgent Fury 1983 (Grenada) Just Cause 1989 (Panama) and Desert Storm (Gulf War 1) 1991.
    Add Phantom Fury (Fallujah) 2004 to your list...a buddy of mine was presented a cased WWII Purple Heart in the hospital before being awarded a modern strike during a ceremony after he'd recovered back in the States. My eyes nearly popped out of my head when he showed it to me back in 2006.

I can show a renamed box from one of my GC medals for the record!

Thank you Rene from saving me the trouble of digging out the boxed sets I have...

Well done and thank you again for the assist..

Best regards..

Smitty

Brig,

Thank you for this updated information.. It is indeed remarkable to still find that medals produced during WW2 are being presented during today's current operations.

I also want to thank you for the additional comment in regards to the individual receiving a later restrike medal and that the cased WW2 Purple Heart was initially presented.. No doubt that must have been quite a surprise..

Smitty

?

Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post
    Brig,

Thank you for this updated information.. It is indeed remarkable to still find that medals produced during WW2 are being presented during today's current operations.

I also want to thank you for the additional comment in regards to the individual receiving a later restrike medal and that the cased WW2 Purple Heart was initially presented.. No doubt that must have been quite a surprise..

Smitty
    He had no clue. At first I thought maybe it was just an old case, until I turned over the medal.

I was also stationed in Berlin in the early 80s (1978-81) with 3/6 Infantry. Interesting info on the Occupation Medal, thanks for this!

Thanks for your service sargetom..

Berlin was a great assignment..

Be sure to check out this link that we started specifically for the Berlin Brigade...

Occupied Berlin, 1945-1990 Allied Forces (US, British, French, Soviet)

Smitty

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2