MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

US Selective Service Award

Article about: This was another weekend pick up. A complete US Selective Service (Draft) Award with cardboard box, lapel pin and ribbon bar. Took me forever to figure you how to remove the award for photos

Map,

You are correct that slotted crimp brooches came out in 1949 and used until around 1960, but regular crimp brooch medals were still being issued in 1945 until about 1960. Both brooch styles had the "lock catch" device.. I can't tell in these pictures if this is indeed a plain crimp brooch which would have been 1945 or a post war slot brooch version.. Interesting though...

Smitty

MAP
    ?

Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post
    Map,

You are correct that slotted crimp brooches came out in 1949 and used until around 1960, but regular crimp brooch medals were still being issued in 1945 until about 1960. Both brooch styles had the "lock catch" device.. I can't tell in these pictures if this is indeed a plain crimp brooch which would have been 1945 or a post war slot brooch version.. Interesting though...

Smitty
    You certainly know volumes more than I Smitty. So just trying to understand. "The Call of Duty" states that crimp brooch came into limited use shortly after WW2 (with the Vicotry Medal) and then saw widespread use about 1960. Could be my eyes but this doesn't look like the transitional "slotted Crimp" style either. I can't enlarge the photo.

Thoughts?
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

MAP,

I am humbled by your words,, but I too may be incorrect and without better photos it is difficult to properly ascertain..

Call of Duty is by far the best reference available on the subject yet sadly it doesn't cover the Selective Service Medal.. With that said, I had to compare the back of the Selective Service medal based on the picture available and compare it to the American Campaign Medal, EAME Medal and Asiatic Pacific Medals in "Call of Duty" on pages 327, 328...

This prompted me to take out both of my Selective Service Medals an examine them closer..

I have both the variations posted, the slotted crimp brooch and what I want to say is the late 1945 crimp brooch version..

Here are two links for some further information about the Selective Service Medal and various brooches.

http://www.omsa.org/files/jomsa_arch...Vol62_4_07.pdf

Credit for the Brooch information goes to MedalMulisha:

MEDAL BROOCH GUIDE - Welcome to MedalMulisha.com, add us to your favorite social media

The Slotted Brooch style medal came in the case on the right, and the crimp style brooch medal came in the case on the left with the outer carboard shipping box..

The US Militaria Forum is going through some website maintenance so their site has been down for a few days but rest assured it will be back up and running and I will be able to pick the brains of those over there for more inclusive answers.. I can't really say who the manufacturers were for these medals.. Yet..

Smitty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US Selective Service Award   US Selective Service Award  

US Selective Service Award  

MAP
    ?

Thanks Smitty.

Yes, I noticed that USMF was down as well.

Looking forward to hear what you find. Everything that have read (as a beginner in US awards) is that the crimp brooches are all post '45. This obviously could be wrong or I misunderstood.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

MAP,

I am inclined to believe that the second medal in my last picture may have been made and issued in the very latter months of 1945, September-December 1945.. After the war, but I too could be wrong and misunderstood..

With 100,000+ medals being produced I would not be surprised that whoever manufactured them initially used the slot brooch style as indicated by medalmulisha and then when those supplies were exhausted used the later 1945-1960 crimp style...

Head scratcher for sure...

Smitty

MAP
    ?

I also remember reading the the crimp style was defined in the govt contracts. So to use left over slot brooch hardware, the maker had to get a modification to the contract and that the full crimp brooch was a post WW2 contract style to facilitate the simplification of the estimated millions of WW2 Victory medals.

Again. Not sure if this is true or not. Just what I read

Good cross flow of information either way...

Makes me want to check some of the medals I have.. I know I have several US MINT made medals.. Will have to see what I have,, Can't remember all of them now...

Smitty

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3